The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 28/1.4 AF-D and 28/2.0 AIS on D800?

While waiting patiently for my E, I am curious about anyone's experience with these two 28s on the D800. Thanks....Peter

dubes

I have the 28 f/2 AI (not AIS), and I really like it on the D800 as long as I stay away from the corners. In the corners, there is definite smearing at least to f/5.6 (and I suspect for all apertures). No good for landscapes / cityscapes, I'm afraid, but then I have a 24 PC-E for those. I love the CRC--I often felt like the lens element (or at least the lens hood) was at risk of brushing the subject when shooting at minimum focus distance.

Also, wide open is visibly soft when pixel-peeping, but it sharpens up nicely as you stop down.

Sorry, I'm posting from my laptop, so no photos at hand that I can post.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have had the new 28/1.8 AF G lens for about a week now and I am very impressed . Its is less expensive $700 than the 1.4 primes (24/35/85) ,smaller and lighter . The build isn t as solid as the 1.4 primes but acceptable and it handles quite well on the D800 . This is my favorite focal length for street and travel .

I am most impressed at the IQ wide open at f1.8 which surprised me at this price point . I expected to see a very noticeable drop in image contrast .

All subjective evaluations but I use the Leica M 28/2 routinely so I have a good benchmark.

Thanks guys. My 28/2 was not great, but acceptable in the corners on the D3, very, very sharp otherwise. I've always liked the 28/1.4 on all cropped and FF nikon bodies, I'm very curious to see it on the 800E. Corner sharpness is definitely not a great priority for my uses of this lens.