The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 25/2.8 and D800

kuau

Workshop Member
Has anyone tested this combo on a D800?
I have only read about the newer more expensive and larger 25/2

Steven

stickan1

Bump! I just got my D800E and has started with the Zeiss 35/2 and 100/2, but I would like to get something wider than 35 mm and think that the 21/2.8 and 25/2.0 are too bulky. There seems to me mixed feelings about the 25/2.8. I will mainly use it for landscapes and the comments I have found says that it is fine close to infinity.

I have a M9 and plenty of lenses that I will keep, so when I really want to go wide I have a 15mm Voigtländer and ZM 21mm (and 25mm).

gurtch

Over at Photozone, he does very thorough testing, and he was not happy with the performance. A dirct quote from his site:

"As a German website we'd love to report that we've seen another great Zeiss lens (home, sweet home after all) but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding (or maybe in the "Kraut" here) and it just doesn't taste good. The Zeiss Distagon T* 25mm f/2.8 ZF performed pretty good in our Nikon APS-C review but it didn't impress during our full format tests. The resolution capabilities are simply sub-standard for such an expensive prime lens (@ ~800EUR/US$). The border quality is quite poor at large aperture settings. Same goes for the heavy vignetting problems here. The situation improves at medium apertures but the quality remains comparatively moderate. Lateral CAs are fairly low which helps a bit in terms of subjective quality perception. The amount of barrel distortion is about average for a prime lens in this class. The Zeiss lens is capable of focusing down to just 17cm (min. object to front element distance: 6cm) which is a fairly unique feature in an 28mm lens so if macro photography is your thing you may find this a useful aspect. The build quality is great, of course, but who wants a Mercedes with a Lada motor ? So I'm sorry to say ... not recommended."

Mechanical Quality:

Price/Performance:

Gary Clennan

The ZF25/2.8 is simply an amazing lens. It is small, well built, and incredibly sharp through to the corners. I have been using one for years on my D700 and have been very pleased. In fact, my opinion is that the sharpness of the ZF25 equals that of my ZF21. I thought that once I bought the ZF21 I would sell the ZF25. It is such a great performer, I can't bear to part with it. I would buy it and if you don't like it, you can always sell easily.

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I just got the Zeiss 25 f/2 for my D800e and initial impressions are very positive. It is smaller and lighter than the 100 f/2, and has the same qualities I really like in the other classic Zeiss lenses.

O

oneANT

Over at Photozone, he does very thorough testing, and he was not happy with the performance. A dirct quote from his site:
If you are prepared to spend good money then why on earth would you read anything at PZ ...this is what is referred to as the classic oxymoron.

Anyone that relies on the information from there is a poor source of anything on the forums. Its well known to the Zeiss community that it was the review and not the lens that was a dud (another dud).

gurtch

If you are prepared to spend good money then why on earth would you read anything at PZ ...this is what is referred to as the classic oxymoron.

Anyone that relies on the information from there is a poor source of anything on the forums. Its well known to the Zeiss community that it was the review and not the lens that was a dud (another dud).
Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes , if I offended anyone, I appologize. When I read Michael Reichman's review of the D800, he referred to PZ's tests for every lens he purchased for his kit (possibly 8 or 10 lenses). Since i respect Michael's judgement, I assumed PZ did reliable testing.
Again, I APPOLOGIZE IF I offened anyone
Dave

BANKER1

Dave,

Sometimes the printed word does not convey the tone of the writer, so you should not feel you have offended anyone. He was probably trying to convey that you should take any review, you may find on a forum, with a grain of salt. I do not even go to LL since it is SO biased against some manufacturers, and MR is, in my opinion, is an egotistical buffoon. And LL is a forum that is not very friendly, and I find it very offensive. You will find this forum to be very civil, and the moderators work very hard to keep it that way. Even this forum is biased against certain manufacturers, but everyone has their own bias. So I understand the bias and do not let it get under my skin. Essentially one should use their own common sense and test, test, test. You are better able to determine what is best for you than anyone else. You just need to trust your own judgement. Of course it is good to get opinions, but in the end you must evaluate and assess those opinions to come to a determination of what is best for YOU.

Greg

gurtch

Thank you Greg, you are a gentleman. Yes, I agree this is a very civil forum that has helped me very much. As a 75 year old amateur I benefit from other's experiences.
best regards
Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Dave,

I'm a long time Nikon / Zeiss shooter and recently bought in to the Nikon system again with a D800 and strictly Zeiss glass again (21/2.8, 25/2, 35/1.4, 50/1.4 and I'll be adding the 100/2 again soon). From my last week's experience of night shooting almost exclusively with the 21/2.8 and 25/2 I have to say it was like coming home to some long lost friends. The acuity and colour consistency of the Zeiss glass is everything you would expect and if I were in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate to go with either of these lenses (and indeed any of the ZF lenses).

If you like the Zeiss 'look' then you really can't go wrong. Sure the measurebators will find fault with field curvature, edge distortion, etc etc but I personally think that these lenses produce great 3D images with real world subjects. AF does nothing for me and so the consistency of the Zeiss line up works well for me.

I just wish Zeiss had something longer than the 100/2 ... The 50/2 is a great lens too btw - I had my 50/1.4 as my last remaining Nikon fit lens that I kept with my F100 after selling off all my Nikon digital gear a while back when I went Leica/MF digital. It has a nice 'look' but for landscape work the 50/2 is a more versatile lens (plus macro) and I prefer it's rendering.

Hope this helps.

gurtch

Hi Graham. I, too, am a Zeiss fan. I have 16-35 and 24-70 lenses in Sony/Minolta mount, & an 18mm ZFII in Nikon mount. I also have experience with Zeiss glass from the early 1960s with a Hasselblad 500c, and more recently Leica M8 with 21, 28, 35, and 50 mm ZM lenses.
Thanks for your insight.
dave

D

devildog

Not sure why the vitriol against PZ and other sites is necessary. While I can comment on the ZF 25mm I did test a new ZF 21mm f2.8 on the 800E and found it stellar in the centre and dreedfully soft onthe edges, leading me to think it is not a flat field lens. A most surprising result.

On the other hand, the 100makro was staggeringly sharp across the field.

Ideally, your dealer should let you try the lens out.

Regards,

- N.

O

oneANT

Not sure why the vitriol against PZ and other sites is necessary. While I can comment on the ZF 25mm
not vitriol but they they perpetuate the absurdity and even now we have lenses and camera bodies scored out of ...what is it 10? How on earth do they know what my 10 is? How is anyone going to be happy with a 5/10

Buy No#10 ...just disregard everything and buy it, anything less is not acceptable. And is it reliable information ....heck yes (insert lol emoticon here).
I did test a new ZF 21mm f2.8 on the 800E and found it stellar in the centre and dreedfully soft onthe edges, leading me to think it is not a flat field lens. A most surprising result.
ummmm, you're kidding right?