The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 and LR Color Calibration?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, for color correction with the Passport in C1, are you just using the auto correct (A) under C1 against the reference color palette shot? Not sure how else to correct in C1. Thanks for the help...
In the shot with the Passport in it I WB off the second brightest white patch. Use that kelvin temp and tint for all the rest under that light. So WB off that patch not the whole card in auto. The passport can just be held by a model at almost any distance as long as you can zoom in your fine.

Samre with LR, ACR, NX2 if you using the card in the shot just WB off that second patch.

Guy Mancuso

See under the wheel I have the passport in this shot . I'll just zoom in a little take my reading off my second white patch and I have my WB. Now a little c
Loser to camera would be better and don't let reflected color in either but all the raw programs you can do this WB

Guy Mancuso

Heck many times I will just stick my arm out there holding the passport too. That day I was juggling two cams. The Nikon and tech cam

Guy Mancuso

Sounds like this thread is helping folks. Do spend the hundred dollars for the passport. It's a great tool in your bag very functional and you can use your passport shot in any raw converter to get your WB. It's like gaffers tape every shooter needs a roll?

I actually thought about buying a second one for each system grab bag and go.

Also with LR you can actually profile your camera to a preset that you can use on import.

jagsiva

Thanks Guy. The passport is great, and quite durable. Also, when I got the I1 Profile upgrade, I got a wallet size one that is even more convenient, not sure if you can buy that one separately.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>when grass and leaves look like crystals I am a bit discomforted

This is crystal grass :). I get it. I actually would not sharpen more for printing as I like the softening effect from the print process (for matte paper I would add sharpness though).

bensonga

I experiment with a 3rd party DNG profile and it got me closer:
I like the colors in that image too. Could you say a bit more about this 3rd party DNG profile Uwe? I'm just getting started with my D800E and have a lot to learn....especially since I haven't even begun to use LR yet (doing everything in CS5).

Gary

D&A

My preference is softer...when grass and leaves look like crystals I am a bit discomforted...and yes to me this looks better.

But again, for print it will need more sharpening.

Bob
I too have an adversion to crispy images...whether for the web or for print. Call me old fashioned, but I like my images (especially prints) to emulate the look one might obtain from medium format film...sharp but realistic. In the early days of digital, I made it a point to work hard to achieve that look.

As an aside, from what I've been told by my great grandfather, that passport Guy placed under the wagon wheel is just what they did in the olden days to prevent the wagon from rolling down the hill (after parking it in front of the saloon of course). Every self respecting cowboy and outlaw had their own "Passport" :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I'm just getting started with my D800E and have a lot to learn....especially since I haven't even begun to use LR yet (doing everything in CS5).

Go to calibration in ACR and you can find profiles. DNG profiles can be created by using Color Checker Passport or the DNG Profile Editor. Creating profiles is not for me :) so I look around to find some. For all my cameras the ColorChecker Passport profiles do fine, but not the D800.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
that passport Guy placed under the wagon wheel is just what they did in the olden days to prevent the wagon from rolling down the hill

Dave (D&A)
Had to re-read the thread...thought it was his digital signature...:ROTFL:

Bob

ustein

Contributing Editor
>is just what they did in the olden days to prevent the wagon from rolling down the hill

Does it also help with parking in SF?

Thorkil

Guy, allow me to ask you what you did by posting your picture at #47, which is just fantastic clear, clean and sharp (the phase160 I guess?), TIFF scaled to 1200 width?, or the max at 7500 + JPEG at 1200 px width together or what?
Thorkil

Guy Mancuso

Guy, allow me to ask you what you did by posting your picture at #47, which is just fantastic clear, clean and sharp (the phase160 I guess?), TIFF scaled to 1200 width?, or the max at 7500 + JPEG at 1200 px width together or what?
Thorkil
Lol that's the D800. I shot the same with the 160 also both look extremely close in color. Full res tiff than convert to srgb and cut size down to 1200 pixels wide.

Btw that's with a 35 1.4 g lens . The EXIF data should be in that image . Right click save to desktop open in CS5 and get info. Probably F8

Guy Mancuso

Btw I started a thread here on the Nikon forum called First Blush that you may have missed. It's a pretty good thread on color when I first got my D800 using ACR and NX2 than getting C1 towards the end . Also in there are comparison shots to the 160. Worth the long read.

Thorkil

Btw I started a thread here on the Nikon forum called First Blush that you may have missed. It's a pretty good thread on color when I first got my D800 using ACR and NX2 than getting C1 towards the end . Also in there are comparison shots to the 160. Worth the long read.
Thank you for both answers!
Thorkil

Thorkil

Guy, just to bother you again...impressive that #47 for a D800!(and the #82, but very heavy colours here)
So then you just shot Tiff all the time, and get those mighty, around, 107 Mb files instead of the "small" DNG files at about 42Mb?
That I must try !!!
Thorkil