The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Flash

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how many of you use Nikon flash regularly, but I thought I'd share some info.

I purchased a pair of SB910's and while considering the Nikon IR communication is limited to line-of-sight, and given my needs often place portable strobes in hidden locations within a scene, I decided to go with the Pocket Wizard TT5 and TTmini radio units, along with a Pocket Wizard AC3 control module. In the simplest words, this keeps multiple Nikon TTL flashes wireless and fully TTL, as well as being able to independently adjust the TTL output of up to 3 banks of remote strobes remotely from the camera. You can leave the AC3 zeroed for full automated TTL via camera, or then adjust your lighting ratios up or down by 3 stops in 1/3 stop increments on three separate banks. You can even switch teh AC3 module to fully manual control from full power to 1/64th power and the flashes follow the command. Most important is it works as advertised, and I didn't even need to read a manual! (It's so easy, even Guy can do it :ROTFL:)

The hardest thing to remember is the order you need to turn everything on: Start from the top down, so turn on your Nikon strobes, then turn on the TT5 units attached to the base of the strobes -- your flashes will pulse to set to the to TT5 unit. Next turn on the TT mini on top of your camera with the AC3 unit plugged into the top of the mini, then turn on your camera. Now adjust the AC3 output banks as desired, fire away in fully controlled iTTL mode! I was nearly giggling like a little girl over how easy this makes multi-strobe TTL flash. Actually this is so cool and easy I will be adding a few more TT5 units and SB910's to my bag too ;)

Check them out if you use camera flash, here is a link to teh PW site, a little way down are some 10 minute videos: http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/flextt5-nikon/ and for the AC3: http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/ac3 zonecontroller/

Here are the units I am talking about:

TT5: PocketWizard FlexTT5 Transceiver Radio Slave for Nikon 801-153

TTmini: PocketWizard MiniTT1 Radio Slave Transmitter for Nikon 801-143

AC3: PocketWizard AC3 ZoneController for Nikon 804-709 B&H Photo

SB910: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...10_AF_Speedlight_i_TTL/BI/1712/KBID/2288.html

jagsiva

Jack, thanks for the post. I have been using two 910's with the built in as a commander, and so far it has been fantastic. The TTL metering with multiple remote flashes, as far as I can see, is significantly better than what I was able to do with Canon.

It may also be slightly better than the flash setup on the DF :)

Udo

Jack, what a coincidence, I just purchased a couple of SB-910s plus PocketWizard Flex units two weeks ago. First thing I did was a firmware update. The SB-910 s are not yet fully supported, but a new firmware is in the pipe. I am actually using a SU-800 unit instead of the AC3, which works flawless as well, no reading necessary here :)

Another add- on is camera control over long distances, repeater mode... possibilities seem endless.

Best regards, Udo

Mozbee

Jack,
Thank you for that user report!

Have you consider the Radio Popper(site) alternative before going with PW?

Francois

R

richard.L

Jack,

Francois
but "We're Sorry! B&H does not carry "RADIOPOPPER" products at this time."

hTh ---

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,

Francois
Hi Francois,

I really did not look beyond Pocket Wizard -- I have good history with them, so just "stayed with the family I knew" so to speak.

fultonpics

funny, i use the same wizards and a combo of nikon and Q-flashes. when going through Frankfurt last week had to take all the batteries out--which was strange because it was okay to carry the batteries in the bag, the same one the wizards were in. all carry on. go figure.

BJNY

I would buy several if Nikon were to manufacture a 200ws Speedlight (SB910 is ~50ws).
I'd also want bright modeling lamp (LEDs), and protruding flashtube [for use with softboxes].

pophoto

Jack, thanks for the post. I have been using two 910's with the built in as a commander, and so far it has been fantastic. The TTL metering with multiple remote flashes, as far as I can see, is significantly better than what I was able to do with Canon.

It may also be slightly better than the flash setup on the DF :)
The Canon Speedlites are now largely improved, especially with the 600EX-RT. They are now radio, which don't require line of site and works really well. Much less cumbersome than using Pocketwizards, which I was doing with the Canon 5D mark II. Although the radio system will only work with the new Canons, and operate optically with older DSLRs.

pophoto

I've been using the older SB900s for a while now, and the SU-4 mode is really useful.

BJNY: I thought most of these high-end flashes were more in the region of 100ws!

jagsiva

The Canon Speedlites are now largely improved, especially with the 600EX-RT. They are now radio, which don't require line of site and works really well. Much less cumbersome than using Pocketwizards, which I was doing with the Canon 5D mark II. Although the radio system will only work with the new Canons, and operate optically with older DSLRs.
I have not tried the 600's. I have used 2 580 EX II's. One major advantage with the Nikon, is the built-in flash that can be used in Commander mode as well.

tashley

Subscriber Member
That's what I thought: that the built in flash effectively means that as long as you are happy to treat the built in flash as Group C, it can control other flashes in groups A and B without the need for pocket wizards etc... And the Built in flash can be set to -- meaning it doesn't fire (other than pre-flashes) so you then are effectively down to two groups... Not sure if all this requires line of sight between the camera flash and the remote flashes, I think it does.

pophoto

I have not tried the 600's. I have used 2 580 EX II's. One major advantage with the Nikon, is the built-in flash that can be used in Commander mode as well.
Rightly so, I miss the Nikons, but cannot afford to have two systems. When I do again, it will be a mid-life crisis! :p

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I like the PW because they are radio and not line of sight. Sometimes i may have a light 100 yards way or in cockpit or some obscure place. Line of sight just does not work for me. I would love to have 25 of these to be honest but thats a lot of cash. LOL

S

Shelby Lewis

The new canon flash system ALMOST gave me enough reason to stay with them. It is radio and the 5D mark III has a built in radio transmitter. The new canon 600 flash is fantastic... basically a built in pocketwizard system, wireless ttl and all...

I'm hoping nikon comes up with something similar that can do wireless ttl via radio.