The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 Menus

Mr.Gale

Can anyone give me some suggestions on configuring the menus for the D800? Or send me a link to a tutorial (video preferred) covering basic and advanced menu settings? I’m switching over from Canon and I’m finding the Nikon VERY different from what I’m use to. I know, I could read the manual but hay, I’m a guy and the manual is 500 pages!

Thanks,
Mr.Gale

tashley

Subscriber Member
Can anyone give me some suggestions on configuring the menus for the D800? Or send me a link to a tutorial (video preferred) covering basic and advanced menu settings? I’m switching over from Canon and I’m finding the Nikon VERY different from what I’m use to. I know, I could read the manual but hay, I’m a guy and the manual is 500 pages!

Thanks,
Mr.Gale
Nothing beats experimentation with manual to hand but some have found this useful:
http://www.outthereimages.com/images/D800_Setup_Guide.pdf

hcubell

Is it possible to configure the D800 so that the camera is on Manual Focus, AF is NOT engaged by a half press of the shutter release button, and AF is engaged by a single press of another button(e.g., the FN button) that does not have to be held down until the shutter is released?
Thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And not only that, you can have multiple sets of custom functions as pre-saved sets so you can switch quickly between them.

hcubell

Yup. Assign AF to the rear AE/AF button. On press makes it AF.
Thanks.
Jack, that's sounds intriguing. I would love to hear how you and Tim have programmed your D800s for landscape work. Oh, and how you remember how you programmed it! [G]