The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800/D800E video tips & tricks

R

ronvanderkolk

Hello fellow D800 users,

With over fifteen years of experience in shooting with Nikon equipment, I thought I knew quite a bit. Now video has entered my life and I can start all over again... The D800 is my first DSLR capable of shooting video and I am stunned by the quality it can deliver. Curious as I am, I've gathered lots of info on shooting video with the D800 and decided to share what I've found so far. Enjoy!

Link: Nikon D800/D800E video tips & tricks

I'll let you know of major updates by expanding this thread.

Current topics:
  • How do I get a clean full screen hdmi output?
  • How do I enable 1080p hdmi output on the Nikon D800/D800E?
  • How do I get rid of flicker or banding in movies recorded with the Nikon D800/D800E?
  • How do I get rid of aliasing and moiré artifacts shooting video on the Nikon D800/D800E?
  • How large is the file from a 20 minute movie from the Nikon D800/D800E?
  • What memory card type do I need for recording video with the Nikon D800/D800E?
  • What memory card speed do I need for recording video with the Nikon D800/D800E?
  • Should I use a stereo or mono microphone with the D800/D800E?
  • What battery should I get for movie making, the EN-EL15 or the EN-EL18?
  • How does the Nikon D800/D800E perform at high iso with video?
  • How do I prevent autofocus and handling noise to be picked up by the microphone?
  • How do I reduce preamp noise on the D800/D800E?
  • How long can a video clip be when recording with the D800/D800E?
  • Should I use 30fps or 24fps for recording movies with the D800/D800E?
  • How do I enable index marking on the Nikon D800/D800E?
  • How can I do about the rolling shutter effect on the Nikon D800/D800E?

Coming soon:
  • What is the best external microphone for the D800/D800E? About fake stereo, lavaliers and dead cats.
  • Which autofocus modes are available during video?
  • How do I set exposure for video - differences with stills photography?
  • What is the best external monitor for the D800/D800E? About lilliputs, peaking filters and a zebra.
  • How do I enable remote control for video?

Questions & suggestions are welcome.

R

ronvanderkolk

Here is the promised update:

NEW: What is the best external microphone for the D800/D800E?
NEW: Does the Nikon D800/D800E have an ISO sweet spot with video? With Youtube example.

UPDATE: How can I do about the rolling shutter effect on the Nikon D800/D800E?
UPDATE: Should I use 30fps or 24fps for recording movies with the D800/D800E?
UPDATE: How do I enable index marking on the Nikon D800/D800E?

Please find the newest articles at the bottom of the index at Nikon D800/D800E video tricks - including clean full screen 1080p hdmi output