The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a D700 still a good buy?

emr

I'm a Pentax user with some half decent lenses and a K-5 (and a couple of lesser bodies). In many ways that camera exceeds my skills by far, but over the time I've been getting more and more frustrated with its randomly working AF. Also, Pentax isn't making a full frame camera body, which I have been lusting for for a long time. I know there are once again rumors about a coming FF Pentax, but so far they are just that. Also, even if Pentax released such a camera, I'm afraid they'd either mess or overprice it. So I feel the time to buy into another brand is near, either to replace my current system or on the side.

Most of all I'm tempted by Nikon. I feel the IQ, including high ISO is excellent and Nikon also makes no-nonsense high quality bodies. The D800 and D800E are probably above what I'm willing to invest. The rumored D600 sounds interesting, but I get the feeling it'll be a cheaper lower quality option (if it'll be released at all). Worried that there might be some shortcomings or omissions in the design too.

But then there's the old warhorse D700. The price is coming down (to some 1560€ from a reputable store today). I think all the possible bugs and problems have been ironed out long ago. The camera is still capable of producing excellent pictures and has a good AF system. OK, 12 Mpix may not leave much space for heavy cropping and there's no video. But otherwise it's still a good buy.

Or is it? Of course it might be wise to wait and see of the D600 becomes reality, but by the time it'd be really available, the D700 may not be available new that readily any more. What do you think?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I suggest you try to find a local dealer who will put you on a waiting list for the D600 despite it's not even announced yet.

In that way it will be extremely easy for you to sell it again without any substantial loss within the first three months, which gives you plenty of time to try it out and see how it compares to the D700.

My expectation is that the only point where the D700 might be slightly better is the handling, and here I'm especially thinking about the different design of buttons on the top left Release Mode Dial.

Pure guessing of course, just saying what I would do if it were me.

danielmoore

Do you typically make prints from your files? I found D700 images print well at 11"x14" and sometimes look good at 13"x19" with certain subjects. That's something to consider. The pixels themselves hold up unbelievably well to editing/sharpening. The headroom in the highlights is exceptional, the shadows, not as much so ETTR applies well to the D700. It makes minimal demands on glass so the viable options are many. It's a respectable camera.

Paul2660

Nikonrumors is making it pretty clear the D600 is coming soon at 24mp with a FX chipset. I would wait on the D600 as the value of the D700 will definitely take a hit if the D600 comes in at around $1.2 to 1.5K.

Looking more and more like my next Nikon.

Paul

jsf

I have found that the d700 prints up to 40cm x 50cm just fine. The 12 mp holds up extremely well to up-ressing. I have had no shadow detail issues if properly exposed. I regularly exhibit and sell fine art. If I were still working professionally I would say that I would have a tech cam for some of my work and the d700 for some of the other assignments. With the d800 now out I would also have that. But that is professional use. From what you said about your wants, the d700 has amazing high ISO capabilities. Also, with the right glass and proper technique the clarity of the image is nothing short of amazing. As to the d600, it has the D3x sensor, it will also be a tremendous camera. But I would think from what I have read, that you might really like the d700 more. (big fat sensor wells) There is also the huge amount of Nikon glass out there that works on these bodies. There are old manual focus primes out there that are extraordinary lenses really cheap. Good luck. Joe

BSEH

Used D700 a month now - waiting for the D800 - and not so impressed with image quality, comming from D7000. I would certainly wait for the D600, if it matches the D3x in IQ. D700 body and AF is high quality and sensor performs well in lowligh. But a 24 mp and a newer image processor will make the D600 a better choice, I guess.