The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800/E Capture1 LCC Problems

phero66

So I rented a D800E for a shoot a few days ago and had a rough start, first C1 does not tether without some driver work arounds which I eventually got to work but not till after my shoot. Second issue I had was with LCC generation, which depending if you were trying to correct for color-cast or light falloff showed problems in the far right part of the image. For color cast I would get a blue/green band, if you checked "light falloff" I would get a blown out band of white gradient in same position. Two different lenses were used along with generating the LCC from the latest versions of C1 on both the Mac and PC. Later my D800 (non-E) arrived and I did a quick test with it too and had the same results.

My LCC technique is sound, and my trusty 6x6in. opaque plexi is the same others use here from Taps plastic (it has worked without issues with my older cameras).

Has anyone else had this issue?

Paul2660

Curious, which lenses did you use? If Nikon I can only think of shooting an LCC with the 24 TS-E, shifted. With most lenses (nikon) you shouldn't have a color cast issue.

If you are shooting an LCC on a shifted image, say a full 11.5 left or right shift with a 24mm TS-E. You can use the LCC methodology to take out the darkness that will occur as you shift fully to the stops. However C1 may over correct on the light fall off and if it does you will see the light band you are describing. Just adjust the slider down it may only need around 25% or so.

I have used the LCC process with Canon and the 24mm TS-E and Capture One. Making 12mm shift left and right. The LCC process works great here, but it will tend over over correct the light fall off, when it does, I just use the sliders. I don't have any color cast issues however. The way I understand it you should only see color cast when using a tech camera/digital back. Here is lens is closer to the sensor and you have issues with the light angle/striking the back. Depending on the lens, the more you shift the more the color cast. However some of the lenses I use create color case when shot straight on, just not as extreme as when shifted.

Paul

phero66

I was shooting with two lenses, a Zeiss 50mm Makro & a RB 75mm on a Cambo X2. I have the Cambo rigged so that I can get rear shift, and did about 13mm in either direction.

My use for LLC is mostly lens light falloff since I shoot flat artwork, and even with a very good unshifted lens you can see these effects on artwork, especially works on paper etc. The correction throughout frame looks good, just near the edge of the frame is bad. I'll post some examples when I get back to computer tonight.

By default color cast is ticked, so I've never unchecked it :)

Thanks!