The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Feedback on Nikon V1 requested

daveproctor

Hi

I have been taking a look at the V1 as prices seem to have dropped and there is a cash back available.

My concern(as I guess with most people) is the sensor size and resolution.

I have used so many different cameras over the years it's embarrassing but I now know I definitely don't want to go down the DSLR route ever again. The reality is I enjoy photography but I don't need (as I have had in the past) an all singing, top of the range set up. I currently have a Canon G1X and the results from that are superb but it is limiting in terms of lens range and the AF takes some getting used to (especially close up).

I have tried MFT (several times!) but something about it just doesn't click with me although the new Olympus primes are fantastic.

The two lens kit with the V1 looks very appealing where two compact lenses cover a big range - reviews of the lenses look positive too.

Despite not being a 'serious photographer' I have a certain level of expectation around image quality. I always like Steve Huff's reviews and he rates the Nikon 1 system very highly.

I would really welcome some views from photographers who use more 'high end' systems but have this as a second system. Accepting the limitations in some areas how does it stack up in terms of image quality and could you see yourself choosing it if you could only have one outfit?

Thanks

Terry

I have the V1. It really depends on what you are looking for. I think my results from it are fine.

Pros
Focus is very fast in good light. Slows in bad light. Meaning not the fastest at CDAF (m4/3 better)
30-110 is very good with both VR and being a great size.
Battery life is very good
GPS unit works well
Menus are easy and if you don't change your shooting mode that often not a problem
Continuous shooting and the buffer are amazing
Viewfinder is better than others in lower light
Rear LCD is very nice

Cons
The mode dial is a problem It will move on you.
Auto ISO is a problem because it will pick too low a shutter speed - consider switching to shutter priority or program mode as the light fades.

Camera can go over your shoulder and extra lens will fit into a pocket (jacket)

Image quality is fine....but you are at 10mp and decide if that is enough for you.

A

Allan Ostling

I have the V1. It really depends on what you are looking for. I think my results from it are fine.

Cons
The mode dial is a problem It will move on you.
Auto ISO is a problem because it will pick too low a shutter speed - consider switching to shutter priority or program mode as the light fades.
My results are just fine, too, on a par with what I get from my EP-2.

There is another way to avoid the Auto ISO choosing a too low shutter speed: shoot in Manual exposure mode. This allows you to set a minimum shutter speed, and set the aperture to wide open (where the IQ is close to optimum for the N1 lenses). The Auto ISO will then adjust for the correct exposure. If you are outside the range with your settings you will get notified by the +/- scale on the LCD.

I've put black plastic tape over the mode dial, eliminating that frustration.

D

dmclachlan

I shoot most of the time with an M8, D90 and X10. I have the V1 and find the V1 image quality pretty good, love the silent electronic shutter mode but I just can't get used to the user interface. I hate having to dive into the menu for exposure compensation. As others have noted the mode dial moves from where you set it too easily (I've also resorted to taping it down). I'm hoping a V2 comes along that deals with the shortcommings. I mostly use it now for video. The X10 doesn't have the reach or the EVF but I find it much more enjoyable to shoot.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Was pretty happy with mine and for more than 6 months this was my main camera. Really enjoyed it. Not saying things could not be improved, but for what it is it is ok.

Sold it as I went to OMD and m43 again and did not ant to keep too many systems.

daveproctor

Thanks guys - this feedback is very helpful.

I'm after a flexible, carry anywhere outfit, and despite the compromises the V1 seems a good option. I very nearly went for one when I bought the G1X but was put off by my pre-conceptions on the sensor size and the under-whelming initial reviews.

Pixel count is not an issue to me as I don't print beyond A4 and, in many ways, a lower pixel count has its advantages. It seems from comments here that the IQ is decent, I wouldn't expect it to match a high end DSLR but it seems on a par with MFT.

I have a small Billingham bag which is an ideal size to carry around the two lens V1 kit and portability is a huge factor for me as I can make sure I always have my camera with me

charlesphoto

I have a J1 (same as V1 minus the EVF) and really like it as a p&s. Makes great videos with full time af and zooming. Focus is instantaneous in good light and iq is decent, esp if post in RAW is done. I have the 10 pancake as well as the basic kit zoom. Hopefully they will come out with a decent mid range prime. At first I was like wtf! when Nikon announced it but then I needed a p&s for reasons I won't go into (In a nutshell I needed a camera to hand to someone that wasn't a Leica M) and of all the options it seemed the best. Kinda wish I had gotten the V1 at times but prefer the size/weight of the J. Have fun!

daveproctor

Well - I took the plunge and picked up a V1, 10-30, 30-100 and SB-5N flash yesterday.

I've not had a propery chance to try it out yet, only a quick walk with the dog yesterday evening, but a couple of things stand out. Colours are superb, especially through Capture One, AF is lightening fast for the type of camera and close focussing is very good. The latter two are way better than my G1X.

The 30-100 lens seems very sharp and both lenses (and the camera) are very well made.

An interesting observation is that I could not use Capture One with my G1X raw files as the wide angle view gave dreadful vignetting - I do not have this at all on the V1 which surprises me.

I tried a couple of the standard close up flower shots and general scenis (of not very scenic views!) whilst out on my walk and resolution and sharpness look decent - more than suffieint for A4 prints which is as far as I go.

As others have said it has some 'quirks' and changing settings is not straightforward sometimes. I really do wish it had a live histogram and hopefully this can be addressed in a firmware upgrade - that said there seems to be plenty of latitute in the raw files and Capture one comfortably pulls back highlights which appear to be blown out. Also wish it had exposure bracketing and again hope this can be addressed via a firmware update

Overall very pleased and it certainly provides a lot of flexibility and excellent IQ in a very compact outfit. Image quality is not up with the G1X (this is exceptional) but it enables me to get pictures the G1X never could given the better close focussing, lightening fast AF and lovely small interchangeable lenses.

Now if Nikon would release and a fast 35 and 50mm prime I'd be the first man on the doorstep of the camera store at openiing time!

Thanks everyone here for your constructive and well balanced input. I have had to forego some of the strengths of the G1X but gained much more in other areas.

ustein

Contributing Editor
No great work of art but my G1X could never focus this close - prints up beautifully at A4 too which is all I need

THis camera is very much underrated. The EVF is very good too.

This images may not look like much:

But it was taken in the 40 raw 10 fps burst mode so that I could pick the best surf impression. Try this with any camera below 4-6K.

Swissblad

As long as they have built in AFS motors, no reason why not.
Haven't tried it though - but am thinking of getting the Sigma 150mm macro.