The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 and Multiples Exposures

D800 does HDR in jpg. I actually haven't even tried.

Reading the manual I came to the knowledge that you can do multiples exposures in NEF and one of the 2 options is to have it done Blending several files into one NEF.

I thought that it could be like a Blending Exposures in an HDR software and decided to give it a tried.

I sat the camera in the studio stand, turned off all front lights and did 6 different exposures having my assistant to frezze for the amount of time.

After doing some little twiking in ACR, this look I came up with...

If you look in the NEF file, the front right shadow area is super clean and nanagable.

You can download the NEF and XMP from here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10120389/MultExp.zip

ACH

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Interesting -- I've never experimented with it, but good to know it's there and seems to work! Does the HDR NEF need to be processed in capture, or can any raw converter handle it?

Hi Jack, any RAW converter handles it. For architectural work is a good tool. I have to experiment more with it and the options. I used Auto Gain ON and a SIngle FIle options. Have to experiment with Auto Gain Off to see how it handles.

fotophil

I am not able to get blending. I shot a 5 exposure series at 1 stop intervals. All five exposures were put into one frame but the longest exposure seems to dominate. The resulting “composite" image matches the longest exposure image. I shot all with the auto gain mode off. I will play with the auto gain on mode next but I doubt that it will help because it is designed to reduce each individual exposure such that the total combined exposure is unchanged.

If you use Auto Gain, the file will look similar before processing but will have more to play with. You can check only one exposure against the ME and will see after opening the shadows that it is cleaner lees noisy.

celina20

Thanks Antonio. I will try again, because in my first intent I had the same issues as fotophil noted on post #4. One thing to mention : there is noticeable less noise in the shadows areas. Wow !!!