The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 AF issue appears to be resolved with 11 point setting

ddanois

Like many others, I have a D800E with odd left AF behavior. In playing around with various modes while shooting, I discovered that my left AF accuracy increased significantly when I switched to 11 point mode. I'm not a testing expert and my actions weren't meant to evaluate the issue but, nonetheless, it has been consistently improved.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this phenomena?

Thanks,

Derek

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Since I had set mine at 11 point mode initially, it may be why I never experienced the left AF issue to begin with.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I got my 800 back from Nikon service today and they've made the left point a touch better (still to be avoided IMHO) and the right point a touch worse (I'd have used it before but not now). I have had it set at 51 points. Tomorrow if I get a chance I'll test it at 11 points and if this works, next time I'm in Florida I owe you a pint. Hell, I'll buy you a pint anyhow! Florida makes me thirsty.

D

davexl

Sadly this does not fix it for me.

I have left side sensor issues, center and right module are dead on, but all left points are out.

For example on a 85mm f1.4G I need about +3 on the center and right, and -18 on the left.

I have tried the 11 vs 51 AF points, as well as other voodoo suggestions floating around the web, like
  • disabling/enabling AF illumination
  • locking the focus point after selection
  • enabling AF point adjust but at 0

but none offer a true fix. This problem is hard to lock down because it is not always consistent. Almost intermittent on the 85mm f1.4s. I avoid the left points, but do test them from time to time, and sometimes they are dead on at f1.4, but usually way off. They are always way off on the 14-24 wide open.

I am transitioning to the AF-ON only method of focussing, which has been amazing, but sometimes I wonder if I am releasing a fraction of a second too early. But when I do test methodically and rule this out, gremlins are still in evidence.

Don't know when I can bear to give it up for a week to be repaired.

tashley

Subscriber Member
If I were you I'd wait: I don't believe they have a handle on it yet. My hunch is that it is going to be a hardware fix eventually.