The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 135/2 DC + TC?

Pierrard

Hello,

I'm designing a pro setup for myself around a Nikon D800E with mostly prime lenses. I like the Nikon 135/2 DC for my portrait lens, and am wondering if anyone has experience using it with an AF teleconverter, like the Kenko PRO 300 DG 1.4X or Sigma EX DG APO 1.4X.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nikon's line of AF teleconverters don't work with non-AFS lenses, so I won't be able to use those, yes? I've briefly looked at the MIR website which lists an AF 1.6X that seems designed for the older lenses, but suggests against using it with AF lenses.

If anyone has experience using this lens with any teleconverters (preferably AF), please let me know!

Thanks

D&A

Hi,

It's been quite some time since I've used a 1.4x with any of the Nikon screw driven Af lenses, such as the 135mm DC lens. (which uses a screw driven Af mechanism). Generally the Kinko Pro 300 Converters worked well and quite consistant although often there was a loss of optical performance compared to the native lens by itself. It's important to check clearance of the telconverter mounting to the rear of the lens, so that the rear element of the lens doesn't hit the converter when mounted. Lenses like the 85mm f1.4 D lens and others have rear elements extremely close to the end of the lens baffle. The higher end Tarmon's are similar to the Kenko's and do OK too. Often stopping down the lens a couple stops helped greatly in the combinations we're discussing. I'm not sure how well these older Af lens/teleconverter combinations will do on a D800, which does demand more from an optical performance standpoint.

As a general rule, I've often found the older mid range focal length Nikon Af lenses didn't do as well optically with a teleconverter as compared to longer focal length lenses such as their 300mm lenses and longer focal length ones. It's basically a try and see type basis as to whether the optical perforance you end up with is sufficient for your needs and output.

Dave (D&A)