The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800e brand new/problems

eleanorbrown

I've have a brand new D800e and am having issues...no image recording, or if an image is recorded it is recorded as black (see histogram) and no functioning live view (see sample's below taken with my iPhone). Tried with my new Nikkor lenses that work perfectly on my Nikon D5100. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Could I be doing something wrong or could there be something very wrong with the camera? Thanks! Eleanor

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
RIP - time to talk to your dealer.

There seem to be some QC issues with the D800's - I have a full spectrum IR/UV converted camera on it's way this week. The first batch were converted and even after firmware update locked up as dead bricks. They had to go back for replacement by Nikon (subsequent D800's converted have been fine). So I think there are some supply/quality issues. You may just be unlucky but given the number of cameras there are bound to be some outliers.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe reload firmware , format your card in camera, could be bad card or not camera friendly. Some things to try

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
RIP - time to talk to your dealer.

There seem to be some QC issues with the D800's - I have a full spectrum IR/UV converted camera on it's way this week. The first batch were converted and even after firmware update locked up as dead bricks. They had to go back for replacement by Nikon (subsequent D800's converted have been fine). So I think there are some supply/quality issues. You may just be unlucky but given the number of cameras there are bound to be some outliers.
I am eager to see how that conversion works out.
Who did it for you?
-bob

GrahamWelland

Spencer Cameras - I have a full spectrum passive cooled converted D800 for use for LLOONNNNNGGGGG exposure and any combination of visible or IR / near UV with filters. I also have a standard D800e on order. I'm off next week doing a night shooting workshop in Bodie/Mono Lake/Tioga Pass so I'm hoping to put it through it's paces with a Zeiss 21/25/50/85 combo (plus I have a rented D800 because I wasn't sure my converted D800 would arrive - my plan B option)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If live view is not working it is almost surely not a storage card issue.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Good point Bob totally overlooked the live view. Damn this is not good. She waited so long for this I feel really bad.

eleanorbrown

Thanks to the responses on the forums I've gathered enough information to make the decision to return the camera to the dealer for a refund...last thing I need is a camera that may have "issues"... Thanks for the help and it's back to more waiting. Eleanor

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks to the responses on the forums I've gathered enough information to make the decision to return the camera to the dealer for a refund...last thing I need is a camera that may have "issues"... Thanks for the help and it's back to more waiting. Eleanor

I think it would be reasonable to ask for an immediate replacement.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I think it would be reasonable to ask for an immediate replacement.
I would suggest trying the next one in store.....and yes immediate replacement is the minimum...especially if you drove a distance to procure the lens.

Bob

eleanorbrown

Got an email from the owner of the store this morning and the Nikon rep in the area is going to arrange for a replacement next week...good news! Eleanor

GrahamWelland

Got an email from the owner of the store this morning and the Nikon rep in the area is going to arrange for a replacement next week...good news! Eleanor
:thumbs: my experience of Nikon is that they typically step up and do the right thing. Good luck with the new one. :thumbup:

Stefan Steib

Graham

how did they do the passive cooling - ist there a fan or some kind of cooler attached to the camera ? Am interested to get this kind of cooling for my converted Canon 5DMK2 as I will soon buy a second body and use the conversion only for special purposes anymore.

TIA
Stefan

Spencer Cameras - I have a full spectrum passive cooled converted D800 for use for LLOONNNNNGGGGG exposure and any combination of visible or IR / near UV with filters. I also have a standard D800e on order. I'm off next week doing a night shooting workshop in Bodie/Mono Lake/Tioga Pass so I'm hoping to put it through it's paces with a Zeiss 21/25/50/85 combo (plus I have a rented D800 because I wasn't sure my converted D800 would arrive - my plan B option)

V

Vivek

More than passive cooling (whatever that entails!), what about the IR light near the sensor (this is part of the Nikon's slow shutter control)? Do you get weird light streaks while using long exposures while the body cap is on?