The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your thoughts on which raw converter for D800

C

CaseyDane

I would like to get in on this topic. I actually just registered to get some help. Before I go on, I just want to make sure that everyone who is commenting on this thread actually used the D800. If not, the information they are providing is invalid. Nikon changed the sensor in the D800. The files represented in the D800 do not mirror images you would find in your d300 or d700. Why? It's a Nikon thing and we just have to get used to it.

But as far as the NEF processing, I have found that Capture One does a horrible job. I just upgraded photoshop and lightroom to use their processing power. The greatest thing about Capture One is that you can control your exposure better than any other software out there. If you want to make sure that the maximum highlight on someones face doesn't exceed an RGB value of 235, then you can do it with ease. You can't do that with Lightroom. But on the other hand, I have found that lightroom converts a much better looking image(with the d800). With my D300, I used capture one 100% of the time. But it just processed my d800 files differently. Maybe there are other settings I should be working with. I was curious if anyone who IS using the D800 agrees or has a suggestion for me?

jlancasterd

I've used Lightroom since it first came out and find that the latest LR4.1 version works perfectly with RAW images from both the D800 and the D800E. I particularly like the range of lens profiles for Nikon and Zeiss lenses. Indeed, the only real gripe I have with LR4 is that it doesn't have profiles for the Voigtlander range as well.

I tried Capture One some years ago with images from an M8 and a DMR but really didn't get on with it.

C

CaseyDane

I forgot to mention this. The files are amazing and full of saturation when it comes to most photography. I am only interested in information regarding human portraits. It's mostly when looking at skin detail do I find that it really matters what converter you use. I will say that Capture one works well now that I have changed some settings. It does not do a good job if you use the default settings. I have to change it to portrait defaults and play with the contrast a little. Regardless, I still love my jpegs over my raw files.

danielmoore

You owe it to yourself to go ape in your trials. As in, download all the trial software you can find and see which is best for a particular type of shot. Ahem, NX2, if you can whistle through a root canal...
Capture One has a remarkable feature set and is learnable, fastish, and makes you look good if you put in the time. But skin, NX2. For now, with this camera.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I put in another recommendation for C1.
I have tried its local adjustments and also LRs and frankly I am just not happy with them in terms of awkwardness, speed, or precision. I do all of those in PS where the control really is available.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I look at the D800 image thread as Jack and Bob mentioned this morning in a e-mail. I can spot what's processed in C1 and what's in LR. Just look at the blue skies. Much more neutral blue in C1. Better color tone and just more accurate.