The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 tethered

P

patrikr

You could just use the WORKAROUND! It just works and cheapest way and you can use C1. 275 euros for Nikon's Camera Control software is rip off.

Knowledge base

I copied type 6 and 7 bundles. I have D800E.

Patrik

P

patrikr

By the way, This piece of "jewellery" Nikon does not allow Live View once it is tethered on the back of LCD? What's up with that. I have a big problem understanding these somewhat questionable restrictions on equipment. What they should do is allow apps and make the cameras open for third party software and hacks like the Panasonic GH2.

danielmoore

Some additional cable info. My laptop has USB 2.0 only so I unconsciously skipped over the USB 3.0 points. Monoprice.com has no USB 3.0 Active Repeaters in stock yet but Amazon does. The 32' repeater requires it's own power supply which kills it for me. A 15' USB 3.0 repeater does not. I also found a basic replacement 15' USB 3.0 cable for the D800 which is twice the length and half the cost of the dedicated Nikon branded cable. By the product image the camera end looks to have a lot of plastic, I have one on order and will report back if it's too much to fit properly.

engel001

I bought from eBay: $6.89 for a 3m cable (Item number: 190682930581)
Specifications: USB 3.0 A Male to Micro B Male
Backwards compatible to USB 2.0

celina20

Hi Guy. I found this in another forum:
" Over in there forum there appears to be a solution
Grahame copied from forum
Tof wrote:
Strange... i have a Nikon D800, and i can shoot tethered with CO 6.4.1 even if Phase One said can't.
Maybe bcos i copy a file "Type0007.md3" from camera control pro 2.11 in C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 6\CaptureProcess\CaptureCore\Nikon\MAID

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm going to get to all this tommorrow for sure. Keep getting sidetracked. I need to also update my pocket wizards with firmware for my SB 910s also.

I did order a 15ft USB3 extension and a couple smaller USB3 cables 1 at 3ft and 1 12 inch one for my card reader as well. This was one reason I went for the new MBP 15 inch non retina was for USB3

phero66

I can vouch for tethering in C1 Pro working with the library copy method from Camera Control Pro 2 libraries (which you need both the "full" download, and then the update). It is VERY confusing though, since trying to get the right info to make this work is convoluted because in the Phase One Forums there are many posts with slightly different recommendations. I tried them all and finally got it to work, but not before my first D800 shoot! For that I had to resort to the CF card swap - UGG!

Once you have the fully updated Capture Control Pro2 software (trial mode ok), follow these directions:

Phase Forum Post: Phase One, Leaf and Mamiya Official User to User Forum • View topic - D800 Tether support and Capture Pilot

1. Install Nikon Camera Control Pro 2
2. Find the file Type0006 Module.bundle, Type0007 Module.bundle, AND fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib from:
/Library/Application Support/Nikon/Camera Control Module

From Finder, do:
/Applications/Capture One (show package contents)
/Contents/MacOS/CaptureCoreServer (show package contents)
/Contents/Frameworks/CaptureCore/Nikon/MAID

Copy both Type0006 Module.bundle, Type0007 Module.bundle, AND fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib into this folder:

Restart C1 and don't run both the Capture Control 2 software and C1 Pro at the same time.

** Basically you need 3 files from Capture Control 2. Some of the instructions call for you to get just the Type0006 or the fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib, but that is not enough. Get all three in there, and if that does not work you could simply just replace your entire MAID directory with the files from the Capture Control 2 directory outlined above. Just note that this workaround will stop functioning if you get a C1 Pro update and it does not contain these files (but hopefully the next release will). If this happens just copy the files again to C1 and keep on tethering!

Ben Rubinstein

By the way, This piece of "jewellery" Nikon does not allow Live View once it is tethered on the back of LCD? What's up with that. I have a big problem understanding these somewhat questionable restrictions on equipment. What they should do is allow apps and make the cameras open for third party software and hacks like the Panasonic GH2.
Can you not even use the HDMI out cable to a separate screen when tethered? If so I'll cancel the order.

Nigel Rea

Can you not even use the HDMI out cable to a separate screen when tethered? If so I'll cancel the order.
Ben

I think you will find the HDMI cable will only send an uncompressed video signal to a recording device, TV screen or TV monitor.

I don't think it will send a still picture when the camera is in Live View which I guess is what you are thinking.

Nigel Rea

Guy Mancuso

Everything in place but still a no go. It maybe my cables. New ones coming later today.

Should I be seeing the camera in C1

phero66

Guy, for reference I am using the stock Nikon USB 3 cable that came with the camera and a cheap USB 2 extension cable, both work through my 2010 Macbook Pro USB 2 port. Also I had rented a D800E before getting my D800 and this method works with both. Honestly though, I did this several weeks ago, in frustration I may have just copied the entire library folder over, I can't remember exactly, but I had thought it was just the "3" files outlined above.

-John

I can vouch for tethering in C1 Pro working with the library copy method from Camera Control Pro 2 libraries (which you need both the "full" download, and then the update). It is VERY confusing though, since trying to get the right info to make this work is convoluted because in the Phase One Forums there are many posts with slightly different recommendations. I tried them all and finally got it to work, but not before my first D800 shoot! For that I had to resort to the CF card swap - UGG!

Once you have the fully updated Capture Control Pro2 software (trial mode ok), follow these directions:

Phase Forum Post: Phase One, Leaf and Mamiya Official User to User Forum • View topic - D800 Tether support and Capture Pilot

1. Install Nikon Camera Control Pro 2
2. Find the file Type0006 Module.bundle, Type0007 Module.bundle, AND fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib from:
/Library/Application Support/Nikon/Camera Control Module

From Finder, do:
/Applications/Capture One (show package contents)
/Contents/MacOS/CaptureCoreServer (show package contents)

Copy both Type0006 Module.bundle, Type0007 Module.bundle, AND fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib into this folder:

Restart C1 and don't run both the Capture Control 2 software and C1 Pro at the same time.

** Basically you need 3 files from Capture Control 2. Some of the instructions call for you to get just the Type0006 or the fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib, but that is not enough. Get all three in there, and if that does not work you could simply just replace your entire MAID directory with the files from the Capture Control 2 directory outlined above. Just note that this workaround will stop functioning if you get a C1 Pro update and it does not contain these files (but hopefully the next release will). If this happens just copy the files again to C1 and keep on tethering!
I must be missing something but I can't even get Capture Control 2 to install with Lion - it keeps saying I need administrator privileges to install even though I am an administrator. Has anyone else seen this problem? The Nikon site says the base 2.8.0 version only supports 10.6.4 so I am not sure how you guys are getting this to work...

Thanks,

phero66

I must be missing something but I can't even get Capture Control 2 to install with Lion - it keeps saying I need administrator privileges to install even though I am an administrator. Has anyone else seen this problem? The Nikon site says the base 2.8.0 version only supports 10.6.4 so I am not sure how you guys are getting this to work...

Thanks,
I'm running, 10.6.8, and had no issues.

I'm running, 10.6.8, and had no issues.
Thanks - good to know it works on Snow Leopard. I'm running Lion 10.7.4 so would still like to see if someone else has made this combination work.

I did find a SW compatibility page that shows it should work with Lion - but still no luck.

Cheers,

Thanks - good to know it works on Snow Leopard. I'm running Lion 10.7.4 so would still like to see if someone else has made this combination work.

I did find a SW compatibility page that shows it should work with Lion - but still no luck.

Cheers,
Ok - a reboot did the trick - not sure what happened...

bvalente

I can vouch for tethering in C1 Pro working with the library copy method from Camera Control Pro 2 libraries (which you need both the "full" download, and then the update). ...snip

This sounds like a nice workaround. I don't suppose anyone knows of a Windows version of this procedure?

Cheers

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Finally got it working. using the 6ft cable from Nikon and a USB 15 ft extension . Although I got a 1 ft cable to work also with extension. All USB 3 though.