The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 tethered

phero66

Finally got it working. using the 6ft cable from Nikon and a USB 15 ft extension . Although I got a 1 ft cable to work also with extension. All USB 3 though.
Did you simply copy the whole directory over or was the problem something else?

danielmoore

I'm guessing, but it may be that USB 3.0 ports are more sensitive to cable type and length. Over 3 meters and using USB 2 spec'd cables are potential issues. With USB 2 ports mixing and matching cable types isn't a problem. Using active repeater type USB cables are always a good idea when passing the 3 meter length mark to keep the power from dropping off.

Ben Rubinstein

Ben

I think you will find the HDMI cable will only send an uncompressed video signal to a recording device, TV screen or TV monitor.

I don't think it will send a still picture when the camera is in Live View which I guess is what you are thinking.

Nigel Rea

Bit confused Nigel, when tethered will the external screen show the live view feed or not? i.e. will I be able to focus on an external screen and adjust polarisation, etc when shooting tethered?

BTW, anyone know if these workarounds work on windows and if the Nikon software will even run on Win 7 64 bit?

Ben Rubinstein

Ben

I think you will find the HDMI cable will only send an uncompressed video signal to a recording device, TV screen or TV monitor.

I don't think it will send a still picture when the camera is in Live View which I guess is what you are thinking.

Nigel Rea

Bit confused Nigel, when tethered will the external screen show the live view feed or not? i.e. will I be able to focus on an external screen and adjust polarisation, etc when shooting tethered?

I don't mind running LV in the nikon software and just using C1 to watch a folder if that helps. I need to be able to use LV for focusing, composition and polarisation when tethered as the camera will be on a copy stand and the viewfinder inaccessible.

Nigel Rea

I don't mind running LV in the nikon software and just using C1 to watch a folder if that helps. I need to be able to use LV for focusing, composition and polarisation when tethered as the camera will be on a copy stand and the viewfinder inaccessible.
Sorry to confuse you Ben. As I see it there are two things here.

1.Tethered i.e. connected to a computer to record still images and view them on a monitor, which is what Guy was wanting to do at the start of the post and
2. Connecting the camera to a TV monitor or video recording device using a HDMI cable to view the LV output. Normally when set for video recording, the camera will output a 1080p (16:9) feed which is not what you want but in LV for stills it should output the aspect ratio you have selected.

With this you will be able to adjust the focus and composition etc when connected to a TV monitor although the picture quality will be poorer than the camera is capturing, as it is only a TV quality display

Try some tests by hooking up the camera to a high quality TV monitor with a HDMI cable. This is how I preview scenes prior to shooting product videos. Nigel

1. Install Nikon Camera Control Pro 2
2. Find the file Type0006 Module.bundle, Type0007 Module.bundle, AND fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib from:
/Library/Application Support/Nikon/Camera Control Module
Ok - another weird one - I got Camera Control installed and used it in trial mode. The camera connects fine and it works as expected but when I try to go to the directory - /Library/Application Support/Nikon/Camera Control Module - there is no Camera Control Module directory - only ViewNX and CaptureNX directories?

Is this because I'm using it in trial mode?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

So far it's apparently too much to ask for when using a D800/E, Ben.

When you ask Capture One to show Live View it says: "The Selected Camera Does Not Support Live View", see Tim's excellent blog post about it here: Tim Ashley Photography | Capture One tethering with D800

I just tried it out on my Windows 7 based pc and I get the same message as Tim gets on his Mac.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member

So far it's apparently too much to ask for when using a D800/E, Ben.

When you ask Capture One to show Live View it says: "The Selected Camera Does Not Support Live View", see Tim's excellent blog post about it here: Tim Ashley Photography | Capture One tethering with D800

I just tried it out on my Windows 7 based pc and I get the same message as Tim gets on his Mac.
Thank you Steen - I had a lot of fun writing that one, it is such a joy getting back to proper tethering and to Capture Pilot on the iPad.

As you say, LV is not supported but in Nikon Camera Control Pro it is and it works and you can use it to manually focus but from the application itself. I haven't tried it in huge depth but it seems to work, and seems like it might offer particular promise for use with those lenses with poor MF rings, such as the 24-120, though those lenses are the ones you're least likely to use in this scenario.

I am going to try to find some time to explore focussing the PC-E 24mm in it with movements but I must say that the live view feed is no better, unsurprisingly, than what you see on the LCD: it's sort of aliased and unclear even when focussed. But a lot, lot better than nothing.

I tried it today, it has good connection, even the shutter button works. What I don't like is that LiveView is disabled from camera.

Dan Berg

Trying to get my D800e tethered with camera control pro 2.
I have software version 2.0 (Have not used it in 2 years)
I see you need version 2.11 but cannot find any updates?
Say it ain't so! I have to buy the new version.
If that is the case I will just wait for Lightroom 4.2 which should have the D800 included for tether.

Dan Berg

Finally got camera control pro 2 to work with D800E.
Downloaded updates 2.71,2.8,2.10 and 2.11 and works fine.
All of about 2 hrs.
As soon as LR 4.2 comes out with its update we will be up to speed.