The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 21mm or Nikon 14-24mm

gurtch

Jack Wrote >>>"Note: After reviewing several ZF18 shots from my recent trip, I will be keeping it and probably not bother on the 17-35 zoom as I do have the 24-120 as well, and find it quite acceptable from 24 up>>>

No doubt the Zeiss 18mm is head and shoulders above the Nikon 17-35 f2.8 when set at 18mm, especially towards the corners...even if the zoom is well stopped down. With that said, where the zoom does well is in a compact travel kit when it's paried with a relatively small telezoom such as the Tamron 70-300 VC lens which is amazingly good on the D800 and far superior to Nikon's own version. A small 50mm G lens can be thrown into the mix if desired. This gives an relatively light weight 17-300mm kit that perfoms well save for that relatively small amount of corner deterioration between 17-22mm with the 17-35mm zoom.

Jack, really nice image of the turning torso building and one of a number of favorites of mine that you've posted from your recent/current trip.

Dave (D&A)
Dave (D&A): I agree with your zoom kit approach. I actually use two kits for the D800E, depending on what I feel like carrying, Tripod or hand held, the type of shoot, etc. For a zoom kit I use Nikon 14-24mm, Tamron 24-70 VC, and Tamron 70-300 VC. Both Tamrons are really really a nice set of relatively inexpensive lenses that perform well for me (I'm not a Pro, so my expectations may not be as high as some). I sometimes leave the 14-24 home, because as others have said, it is a monster. That, plus that bulbous protruding front element intimidates me. My work is around blowing fine sand and salt air/spray, so I do not follow conventional wisdom, and I do keep UV filters on ALL my lenses, except the 14-24.

When I want to only carry small primes, I have 18mm Zeiss ZF.2, 35mm f2 Zeiss ZF, 50mm Nikkor f1.8 G, and finally the manual focuse gem: the 90mm f3.5 Apo Lanthar (the newer chipped version for Nikon cameras). DigLloyd raves about this lens, and I agree, sharp center and edges, even at full aperature. A real gem that I have not really tapped it's potential, because I am basically a wide angle guy
Regards all....this thread is enlightening.
Dave

Thorkil

Geez Dave every time I see your images it brings me back to my youth and the New Jersey coast. I was a Seaside Heights and Beach Haven teenager during the whole summer breaks We had a house in Ortley beach but we sold it when I was about 14 so I was more about girls than photography back than. LOL

Yes " under the board walk " was my theme song. ROTFLMAO
Don't mention it Guy, when I was 14 laying at a little beach at the lake "Furesoen" a bit north of Copenhagen, some 10 meters away, there was a girl laying with one of this new, innovative, technical inventions, the transister-radio, that was schratching out in the shaking summer-air...Under the board walk...by Rolling Stones, I got hit by them, they were so wonderfull unpolished compared to the Beatles, have been their fan ever since, and when I have to make very booring descriptions, working, Stones just have to come out of the speakers.
Sorry
Thorkil

Last edited:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I love the size, performance, and general feel of the 18. And the focal length is right in the sweet spot for me. Plus, it takes filters; 4" NDs in particular work quite well. I find it complementary to the 14-24, not really a substitute.

danielmoore

@Dave, if you keep UV's on your glass you may like to pick up the Fotodiox filter adapter and UV. I contemplated drop kicking it at first but after some use, meaning attaching/removing cycles, it gets both easier and faster with some wear in. Hold your judgment until you've had it on and off a dozen times or so. As with many lenses, after the shotgun honeymoon and tedious get to know you phase is over, with real knowledge of it's focusing behaviors, it's a strong performer through it's wide range. If you find the left or right edge softer, place it in the sky and bob's your uncle. As much as I'd like to have a full WA set of Zeiss primes, I find myself truly satisfied with the 14-24, more so now that I can filter it for sand/water, etc.

gurtch

Thanks danielmoore. I looked into the Fotodiox you mentioned....I may have to go that route!
dave

smhoer

I've been using the Fotodiox filters (Pol & 5 stop grad) for about a month. Took some getting used to the size but works quite well. It convinced me to stick with the 14-24.

D&A

Here are two taken with the Zeiss ZF.2, hand held, about f10 on a D800E.
Regards to all
Dave in NJ
Dave, Great shots as always. I am especially partical to the second one on the "right". Reminds me of the late summer sunsets of August where the slight chill in the air makes for crystal clear skies and reminds all that autumn colors and that season is just around the corner. It's an image thats one can relax and enjoy the ambience it displays.
Dave (D&A)

Nikon 14-24 at 14mm, F/8, ISO 100, 2 sec. Was getting ready for a night shot.

100% Near centre.

100% Bottom Left Corner.

100% Bottom edge.

100% Bottom Right Corner.

100% Right Edge.

This is another one later that evening. 14-24 @ 14mm, ISO 100, F/5.6, 30sec. At 5.6 centre is better, extremes are the same. Note the flare.

Full JPG HERE.

This is part of the sky with moon of a night shot. Flare.. changing the angle sometimes work to avoid or minimise this flare. Otherwise clone..

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Antonio,

With the 14-24 the flare I tended to witness in shots with the sun in the frame typically had a mini rainbow segment in them. Almost like a couple of difracted stripe sets. Tough remove unless you can clone the entire flare out.

biglouis

I've only just dipped into this thread today. I've been a little underwhelmed by the photographs in the 'fun with D800 thread' but the Zeiss glass in this thread really showcases the D800 beautifully.

Thanks

LouisB

Fredrick

Hi Fredrick
Would you care for showing some more 21mm Zeiss pictures? Or a homepage?
Would be nice with some from Lofoten. And what are your expiences so far?
Thorkil
Hi, sorry for my late reply. I have been traveling the last few days. My experiences with the lens are only good. I really love it. It has stellar sharpness, but it could be a bit sharper in the edges. It has really nice micro-contrast which gives a nice 3D-effect to the images. I do indeed have a page, but I don't reach Lofoten before Monday. This is my page

johnnygoesdigital

I've been following this thread because of my need for a wide prime. The obvious choices are the 24mm 1.4 G, Zf.2 21mm, and Zf.2 18mm. I took the Zf.2 18mm for a walk, and must say that it's an impressive little lens. The size is perfect for remote treks if weight is a concern, and getting "everything in", the viewfinder is easy! The micro-contrast is really nice and distortion is well controlled - you can even use this to your advantage. This 18mm is my new favorite and really love the build quality.

These are obviously low res, so don't quite capture the amazing detail! There's great DOF, from the rocks to the waves and beyond.

Last edited:
E

espressogeek

The shot of that building in sweden nearly sells me on the 18mm. Its weird that the tests online dont show this lens being special but the photos indicate something else. I would jump to the conclusion that it doesn't perform as well up close as it does far away but lensrentals.com says it performs better up close. I'm totally confused now. :facesmack:

I would just buy a 21mm distagon for Nikon and call it a day but I can't find one.