Site Sponsors

Thread: D800E arrives

Post Thanks / Like

D800E arrives

In time to shoot a show with my son's band last night. My first impressions are, well, wildly enthusiastic. Holding aside absolute IQ, my first surprise was how well it auto focused in extremely low light. Much better than the D3 I had been using. Then the quality at 6400 ISO is astounding. Details are extremely well preserved as well as adequate tonality. These 2 examples were shot with a 50/1.4D, ISO 6400, F2.8. My main computer is down, so these were basically not processed at all. They were converted in Raw Developer (a favorite of mine) with cropping, white balance adjustment for the intense red lighting on stage, and saved as about 6MP JPGs. No noise reduction (other than the effect of downsizing), no sharpening. Wowser......Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D800E arrives

Can anyone please confirm that the images are appearing? I may have a problem with my server. Thanks...Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Peter: yes i got the photos. Amazing detail given the circumstances.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for confirming it Dave.....Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Peter, How was your WB set for these images? Auto? Understand the ISO @6400.

Post Thanks / Like

In camera auto WB with adjustment made in Raw Developer. There where multiple colored lights from a projection above the band, I did a very quick, actually auto adjustment in Raw Developer.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just thinking that if you could set Tungsten in these situations to like 3200 Kelvin how that would work. Maybe something to try during the next gig for the band. Auto Wb works very well I must say. I am awaiting my 800e.