The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 & 500 reflex lens

gurtch

I have three old Nikkor lenses, and had them AI'd for use on a D800E. They work beautifully. I just purchased on the bay a Nikkor 500 f8 reflex ( mirror) lens. It says nothing about AI. If it is fixed aperatue, do I need be concerned about AI?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Udo

Dave,

yes, it is fixed aperture, no need to worry, you can use it. Just specify lens data, i.e. max aperture and focal length in your camera's non-cpu lens menu, see page 371 in your D800 user manual for further info.

Regargs,
Udo

DDudenbostel

I purchased one of the later ones a number of years ago but didn't find it to be very sharp. I'd be very interested to know your observations with the D800. My experience was twenty years ago on film.

Which other older lenses have you converted and how do they perform. I converted a couple and found the 50 f3.5 micro to be quite good but my 35 f2.8 was not so good. I do have a 25-50 f4 that's quite good on the D800 at f8.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had one that I used on the Fuji S5. Sharp enough but a bit low contrast. I mostly used it for golf tournament, which it was great for, no doughnut highlights and nothing that moved fast :)

gurtch

Thanks guys for the input. I have an Alpha 900 with 500mm Mirror Minolta, so I am familiar with the breed's short comings. The older lenses I had converted are a 28mm f3.5 50mm f2, and 135mm f2.8. Have not really tested them in detail, other than a few grab shots.
Thanks ahain all
Dave

DDudenbostel

I have a first generation 28 3.5 and it's not terrible on the D800 and stopping down make it reasonably good. I've read the 135 2.8 is quite good.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I use the Leica R 500 F8 mirror lens on my D800E . Before that I used it on the DMR and the D3x . Have used the Nikon version since they were introduced . The short comings are well known ...lower over all contrast , lower resolution that a traditional all glass telephoto and some nasty donut shaped highlights in the out of focus areas .

However ....its a lens that you can easily carry in a small kit . On a bright sunny day it has plenty of speed . Around the water it seems you never have enough reach and its a great lens to have in Florida . With adequate post processing you can produce excellent results ..just don t expect it to match a 500/4 in IQ.