The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Diglloyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paratom

My opinion: I have had a subscription twice - interesting read BUT IMO very theoretic. He draws conclusions based on few test shots. In case of the S2 he criticized some things (AF) which I could not confirm based on my real world experience. But who believes anything we read in reviews anyways. And then there is sample variation as well.
In the end I find reading reviews is interesting, but never tells the whole truth. Most important is to check out products yourself and see if it works for you.

S

Spiritshooter

I'm new here, have stayed away from forums for a number of reasons the least of which is evidenced by the first set of responses to this man's question.

Some people may ask questions that are less than obvious and some may even think them to be pedestrian, I get that. But why the demeaning response at this mans expense is beyond me.

carstenw

Interesting Carsten maybe that is true as i have noticed it a little more lately. My reviews at least in my style is more in shooting real world stuff and not the same subject all the time. For some folks they may like my approach more or less for that matter. I try and stay less technical and more about real world but that is my way and how I test gear, its usually very sound in the shooting and very neutral in the processing and I am very neutral in the approach but do have strong opinions on what is good and what is not. We all do this stuff differently for sure and it does come down to who and what kind of data is being presented. So you make a very good observation here and Lloyd may or may not hit the data you are after and certainly can be said about all the reviewers out there in photo land. Like anything else everyone with camera is a expert now.:D Some stuff I read is pure garbage but I do scan Lloyds stuff and find the little extra comments helpful.
Yeah, I just find that he is getting a little too easy on equipment he likes and a little too harsh on equipment he doesn't. Anyway, the information is there.

I like your style of reviews because it is the firehose approach, everything is there, only sorting is needed :) Lots and lots of shots. I still remember (with melancholy) the DMR Bible :)

carstenw

I'm new here, have stayed away from forums for a number of reasons the least of which is evidenced by the first set of responses to this man's question.

Some people may ask questions that are less than obvious and some may even think them to be pedestrian, I get that. But why the demeaning response at this mans expense is beyond me.
I cannot answer for anyone else, but in my case, I did not like how this poster is fairly new, and has contributed little to the forum, but asks a wide open question which invites personal opinions, not factual ones. I feel that soliciting strong opinions from a hidden position is not the most honest way to operate. The phrasing just felt loaded. I would have answered much quicker if he had written something like: "I am trying to figure out if the subscription price to Lloyd Chamber's site is worth the asking price, but need more information. I use the following equipment: X, Y, Z, and am considering: A, B".

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree its almost throw the dear guy under the bus question the way it is phrased. Some folks certainly like what he does and certainly some folks do not. But regardless of that he is a good guy and try's very hard to make sense of it all and for that my hats off to him. I know how much work is involved and the time invested in it and its not easy work. Anyone that tries and makes a valiant effort at reviews deserves some credit cause you certainly will eat hay on whatever you write and you better have thick skin or you won't last very long.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I agree its almost throw the dear guy under the bus question the way it is phrased
That made me laugh, Guy.

To the OP: I think from the variety of non-opinions your question received it might be becoming clear that the question was too broad, perhaps. If you care to refine it, who knows what might be revealed.

I have had a subscription also since the beginning (along with one to Sean Reid's site); I have found both have saved me money.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I cannot answer for anyone else, but in my case, I did not like how this poster is fairly new, and has contributed little to the forum, but asks a wide open question which invites personal opinions, not factual ones. I feel that soliciting strong opinions from a hidden position is not the most honest way to operate. The phrasing just felt loaded. I would have answered much quicker if he had written something like: "I am trying to figure out if the subscription price to Lloyd Chamber's site is worth the asking price, but need more information. I use the following equipment: X, Y, Z, and am considering: A, B".
Of course the OP would have received a more useful response if he had provided a context ....and you could have just asked him . Is it Ok to make fun of the OP with the first dozen posts ...it completely undermines any chance of a useful dialog ?

You don t like the poster because he is new and has contributed little to the forum..because he might have a hidden agenda ? Guess you put your feelings on the table but I find this out of character to what Jack and Guy have tried to support .

Generally I think its much better to provide constructive input or just pass on commenting . This type of post drives new members away . :facesmack:

Shashin

I don't get it. The OP makes three posts in three separate forums and leaves. His only other posts on GetDPI go back to January 4th. A little interaction would go a long way, even perhaps a thank you...

carstenw

Of course the OP would have received a more useful response if he had provided a context ....and you could have just asked him . Is it Ok to make fun of the OP with the first dozen posts
Yes, a little ribbing was in order :)

You don t like the poster because he is new and has contributed little to the forum..
Whoa, whoa, I didn't say I didn't like him. I don't know him. I didn't like the phrasing of his question. It read more like a drive by shooting than an attempt at a meaningful discussion; more the style of someone looking for information with no skin in the deal, than someone trying to contribute. Maybe I am wrong, but I note that the OP hasn't returned to elaborate or otherwise join the discussion, so we just don't know.

The OP has a total of six posts in his entire history. Three about the 50/2.8 AF/LS Phase lenses, and three identical postings of this question. Just saying'...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Admin note: This same question has appeared in 3 separate forums and has generated some controversy in at least one, so I am closing all 3 down. I understand and respect everybody's stance on this one -- the phrasing of the OP's question does bring up the concerns mentioned, and it did generate some snarky responses. But snarky falls short of rude and why I let it ride. However, at this juncture I am going to close all 3 threads before they head further off course. Thanks to all who have participated so far, and let's wait for the OP to gain some traction and hopefully rephrase a single new question should he desire more information than already supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.