The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 and green cast

johnnygoesdigital

I've been shooting with the D800 and love the detail when shooting with strobes. However, when just casual shooting, there's a greenish cast on every image, and not just the LCD. White balance settings are where I want them, but still the strange color tones. I'm curious how others are adjusting white balance if you don't have a good reference (gray card/color checker).

Thanks for any input.

johnnygoesdigital

Guy-

Yes, AWB is set, but still the tones. I can move settings to achieve more realistic, ambient settings, but straight from the camera is never accurate. I've been converting from NX2 and into LR3.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

How about posting links to some RAW file samples + your own processed results ?

Then we can post our processing results with different RAW converters.

There might be a conversion result you like.

- - - - -

Btw. what is you normal setting for >> SHOOTING MENU >> Set Picture Control ... ?

johnnygoesdigital

Steen, good idea, i'll try to post some later...

pophoto, good advice, but the monitior has recently been calibrated (eizo).

Guy, i'll try C1

Thanks to all

johnnygoesdigital

How about posting links to some RAW file samples + your own processed results ?

Then we can post our processing results with different RAW converters.

There might be a conversion result you like.

- - - - -

Btw. what is you normal setting for >> SHOOTING MENU >> Set Picture Control ... ?

In shooting menu-(picture controls), is set to neutral. Interestingly, the only changes in any of these settings is the sharpening slider, everything is set to 0.

S

Shelby Lewis

Which program are you processing with? I love lightroom 4, but have been unable to get d800 files to look good with it. The green tint is pervasive in my pre-processed shots as well, but even after neutralizing it, the color never seems right in LR.

Guy's C1 shots always seem to have much more neutral color, to my eyes at least.

I've been shooting with the D800 and love the detail when shooting with strobes. However, when just casual shooting, there's a greenish cast on every image, and not just the LCD. White balance settings are where I want them, but still the strange color tones. I'm curious how others are adjusting white balance if you don't have a good reference (gray card/color checker).

Thanks for any input.

R

richard.L

three views.. same image.

screencapture\ \\
- C1
- NX2
- LR4

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Which program are you processing with? I love lightroom 4, but have been unable to get d800 files to look good with it. The green tint is pervasive in my pre-processed shots as well, but even after neutralizing it, the color never seems right in LR.

Guy's C1 shots always seem to have much more neutral color, to my eyes at least.
I'm finding C1 about the most neutral in color. Exactly what I want too since from there I can tweak what I want. Rather not correct at the start but make adjustments to what I like after I WB . Now I do not use AWB , I use daylight and tungsten settings depending on what I am shooting. Now AWB is from I hear very good on the D800 but like anything it can be fooled too. I stick with the known color temps and than go from there. That's me though , I trust very little in any auto mode. This cam behaves good though.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

In shooting menu-(picture controls), is set to neutral. Interestingly, the only changes in any of these settings is the sharpening slider, everything is set to 0.

Try using this camera setting
>> SHOOTING MENU >> Set Picture Control >> Standard
as your standard camera profile

- - - - -

and for those RAW files you have already captured you still have the choice to change from Neutral to Standard (or Landscape etc.) during processing in NX2 in this way (since you already have the NX2 software):
>> Camera Settings (in the panel to the right) >> Picture Control >> Standard

I think you will find it makes a visible difference.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

When I sometimes want an even more warm (reddish) cast I choose:

>> Lightroom 4.1 >> Camera Calibration (in the right panel) >> Profile: >> Camera Standard

An upgrade to LR 4.1 probably would not be all that costly.

- - - - -

And then there's also Capture One Pro 6 free trial version as Guy has already mentioned.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Regardless of brand of raw processors . One should shoot some test images with a Passport or similar color checker and run the files in the converters and see what works best for you. Sure it's some work but it will save long term issues.

I agree with Steen use Camera standard, I got weird color on camera neutral.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) I love lightroom 4, but have been unable to get d800 files to look good with it. (...)

Shelby, are you by any chance using
>> Lightroom 4.1 >> Camera Calibration >> Profile: >> Adobe Standard

I would recommend you avoid Adobe Standard and instead use Camera Standard or one of the other specific Camera profiles as a starting point.
It's the very first thing I tweak when using LR.
(Otherwise try the Capture One Pro 6 free trial version as Guy recommends.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Generally bad color is why I do NOT use any version of LR -- if an image includes skin, I can almost always pick the LR conversions out immediately. I know you guys love it's cataloging feature, but for me the resultant IQ is all that counts. C1 consistently gives me excellent color accuracy and superior detail, and thus why I am as evangelical about my use of it as others are for LR...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Jack, both you and Guy have showed us so many convincing examples on this so that I for one am actually sure you are totally right here.

But for some reason I have personally never really taken the time to become familiar with Capture One in depth though I have for many years used it now and then.

What is the best tutorial to learn it really well ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

What is the best tutorial to learn it really well ?
Honestly, take one of our workshops! Since that's not feasible for everybody, there are also webinars hosted on occasion by both of our Phase dealer sponsors. Lastly, the Phase site itself has a lot of good info available on C1 techniques under the tutorials section: Capture One tutorials

Cheers,