The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Problems with D800 downloads

lmeiners

I've had recurring problems with downloading files directly from the camera. Currently installed in the camera are SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro cards in each slot, which are on the approved list in the Nikon manual. The problems have occurred when using Photoshop Bridge CS6, Capture NX2, and Windows Explorer in Win7. Windows Explorer has been the most reliable, but sometimes even then I would have to copy a particular file several times before I could get a non-corrupted version on my computer. There were a few files I could never get loaded. CS6 and NX2 would usually lock up after transferring a few files and give complaints such as the battery being low, when it wasn't. My computer is fairly new and has a USB3.0 port so I have been using this. The USB3.0 standard is rather demanding and today I got to wondering if either the port on the camera or the computer isn't quite ready for prime time. Plugged the camera into a USB2.0 port and downloaded about 200 full resolution images flawlessly.:)

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I would not recommend the use of the camera battery for such a probably rather energy consuming action like moving e.g. ~ 10 Gigabyte of data.

I always use a card reader, like e.g. this one.

I assume it saves some battery energy.

danielmoore

Are you using a cable other than the supplied Nikon USB3? Are you using a hub? Tethering this camera is very sensitive to connection type and length. For simple transfers I couldn't agree more with Steen but you have your reasons.

lmeiners

Are you using a cable other than the supplied Nikon USB3? Are you using a hub? Tethering this camera is very sensitive to connection type and length. For simple transfers I couldn't agree more with Steen but you have your reasons.
I am using the USB cable that came with the camera and it was plugged into a USB3.0 port mounted directly on an Asus P8B WS motherboard. Although I ordered a card reader like Steen suggested, the download times really aren't that bad directly from the camera, even when using a USB2.0 port. This issue may not show up too much because most people are either using card readers, or using a USB2.0 port.

Larry