The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 tethering cable?

C

CBronicki

Hi guys, this may sound like a silly question, but what cable do you use to tether a D800 with to a Macbook Pro?

It does not use a standard firewire cable and I don't recall my Nikon coming with a longer tethering cable of any sort.

Also, where can I buy the correct cable online (i'm in Australia and we seem to be late getting stuff).

Thanks.
Chris

tashley

Subscriber Member
It does come with a cable: the camera end is flatish and crimped into two sections, the other end is USB, not firewire...

D

Deleted member 7792

It does come with a cable: the camera end is flatish and crimped into two sections, the other end is USB, not firewire...
That's a USB 3.0 cable. Both the D800/D800E and the MacBook Pro support USB 3.0 (but not FireWire).

C

CBronicki

Thanks guys. I know the cable you are referring to, I will get an extension lead for it.

And yes, I will be using Capture One Pro (latest version is half price this week only). Some people have mentioned issues with tethering D800's. I'll see how I go.

danielmoore

If you're going to try it be sure it's a USB 3.0 active repeater type. I haven't got one to test with but I've tried USB 2 active repeaters and the connection was random.

Pingang

Speak of tethering, the current USD 3 cables are all rather short, maxium length is around 3 meters and already hard to find - that is awfully short for fashion works. What I did was using a 1.5m USB3 connecting to a 5 meter USB2 repeater cable on my MBP with Retina Display and it works flawlessly with C1Pro until I upgrade to Snow Leopard, so I have to go back to use my 17" MBP, and it works well. Yes, the set up effectively made the connection becomes USB2 but I did not notice much difference of connecting short USB3 and USB3+USB2 repeater - probably the reason why Canon stays with USB2 on 5DIII.

Pingang

Hi guys, this may sound like a silly question, but what cable do you use to tether a D800 with to a Macbook Pro?

It does not use a standard firewire cable and I don't recall my Nikon coming with a longer tethering cable of any sort.

Also, where can I buy the correct cable online (i'm in Australia and we seem to be late getting stuff).

Thanks.
Chris