The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF-IR lenses

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Now this is a long shot but I was wondering if anyone here has tried the specially configured Zeiss ZF glass with extended IR performance (avoiding hot centers). Zeiss will provide ZF lenses with modified coatings that have less of a severe off axis IR cut off for use with IR sensitive cameras.

I know Lloyd Chambers has tried a couple but perhaps some folks here too have? Anyone? Bueller?? Bueller?

Last edited:

Brian S

No- but I will look into ordering them for my IR camera at work. I've used the Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8, 60/2.8, Nikkor ED series lenses and even the 500/8 mirror on IR cameras for a long time (20 years). Also have a Pentax 85/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic that is uncoated for this reason. I went with lenses that maintain focus from visible through IR, no need to correct focus. I do not use wide-angle lenses.

I will have to see who in the US sells them.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks Brian.

I'm looking for the best choices for my full spectrum D800. They all work well with the hot mirror filters for visible and also with no filters at night but daytime IR filtration is brutal on them unless wide open.