The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

85mm f/1.8 G Build Quality Question

pesto

How does the build quality and "substance" of the new Nikon 85mm f/1.8 G compare to the 105 VR macro. I am weighing several factors in trying to decide whether to buy the 1.4 or the 1.8 version and having not seen either, I am looking for a basis for comparison on the basis of a lens I own. I gather that the two are reasonably close with respect to optical quality and I doubt that I would be taking advantage of the extra speed.

Alon

Not Available
Build quality vs the 105VR is more plasticy nd much lighter.

I use the 85/1.4G on D3s and the 85/1.8G on the D800/E minus the Bt.Grip as the whole thing is nicely manageable.
85/1.4G better Bokeh and 85/1.8G better corners and lighter.

Pingang

If you don't intend to shoot under heavy rain then the 85/1.8G is a great choice, it is not small although quite light weight, fit in hand very nicely, and as sharp as the 1.4 version, I have probably owned and use 5 version of 85mm, from the 85/1.4Ai, 85/1.8AF, the original 85/1.4AF, then the 85/1.4AF-S, the newest one the 85/1.8G is right there on the sharpness. Great value.
Of all, probably the 85/1.8G has the least expensive material but does not look that cheap, built quality and focusing speed is very good, optically excellent. If The 100mm VR Micro is a good lens, if I were to chose only one lens for 85-100mm range, I will pick the macro, it is a universal lens for me, but it also cost about twice as much, but more versatile.
Nikon did not make any poor lens in these range, it is a matter of budget and preference. Performance wise, you can't go wrong with all these lens.

BR,
Pingang

johnnygoesdigital

I've decided on the 85 1.4, but mostly for its better weather sealing. Roger makes some good points in another thread about sticking with the same lens manufacture, for an overall look when displaying gallery images together. I think that point is extremely valid and I decided to do just that. Also, the af allows more spontaneity, and the new 1.4 g's are really good!