The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 400mm f5.6 ED IF AIS lens focus

gurtch

I just purchased this manual focus used from a reputable dealer, so I can return it. The lens is a beauty-light weight small, etc. The focus ring helicoid turns freely---in fact TOO freely. It does not have that "feel" that gives one confidence it will not move accidently. Is this normal for this lens? If anyone has one can you please check it?
Thanks
Dave in NJ

rclewis

I had this lens when it came out. It uses internal focusing, so the focus ring is only moving several internal lens elements and is very light. I never had the focus change on its own.

gurtch

I had this lens when it came out. It uses internal focusing, so the focus ring is only moving several internal lens elements and is very light. I never had the focus change on its own.
Thanks. I really like this lens, it is so light and small for a 400. The focus was so light, i assumed possibly it was not correct. I have not trid it yet with a tripod. It is reported to be very sharp.
Thanks
Dave

fotophil

My Nikon 400mm has a very "light touch" focus ring but the focus ring is not loose. I used the lens often in the film days but have not really tried it on hi res digital. Please let us know your experiences with the lens.