The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 lenses for shift

Pierrard

Hello,

I'm considering using some Mamiya 645 lenses with a Mirex shift adapter for shift panoramas and the like, given the prices of Nikon's shift lenses and the versatility that an adapter could allow for.

The ones of particular interest I think are the 35, 45, and 80/1.9 or 2.8; unfortunately I've yet to try any of them: what are your experiences in corner resolution/vignetting (especially in the 35 and 80/1.9)?

Thanks for your time!

Stefan Steib

I have now about all M645 lenses (exception the 3 Apos) and use them with the Mirex. My personal favourite so far: the 1,9/80 wide open and full tilt. What a fun and what a background. Highly recommended. I would say: this should be the standard lens combo for any Portrait photographer !

Next best: use the 120mm Macro with the Mirex. Very nice combo !

The 35mm is OK, but on the borders when shifted fully it becomes soft. Actually not a real match for something like our Hartblei 4/40mm IF Distagon. But hey that´s another pricetag.
The 45mm is much sharper than the 35mm in the corners, so I would always preferre that, it´s also around another 100€ cheaper.

Regards
Stefan

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I'd like to know more as well... I've been considering the Mirex for use with the APO 200/2.8 - to shoot highly compressed urban landscapes. While the 70-200 VRII is a better performer, it's almost impossible to get enough DOF for things like facades, unless shot almost exactly straight on or a quarter of a mile away.

The 80/1.9 with tilt sounds intriguing... also, I bet Hassy lenses can also be used with a second adapter for M645.