The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Zeiss Apo 2.0 135

D&A

I want it. LOL
You and how many others...LOL!

I can see this becoming a very popular lens if performance characteristics are held to a very high standard. Uses standard 77mm front filter size which should be of great benefit to most.

Dave (D&A)

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
As I already have the Nikon 35 1.4G, I am torn between the Zeiss 25/2.0 and the 15/2.8 I know the cost difference is significant but the focal length is as well.

Also, can anyone explain the difference between the ZE glass and the ZF2.0?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Also, can anyone explain the difference between the ZE glass and the ZF2.0?
Bryan,

ZE glass fits Canon *E*OS, ZF glass fits Nikon *F* mount; I believe the optical formulas are all the same. The .2 on ZF lenses is generation 2 that allows for aperture control from the camera's command wheel, while gen 1 lenses required you to use the aperture ring on the lens.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Two issues ? Size and weight .....and long throw . If you are familiar with the 100/2 Makro ..it has a long throw because it has close focusing . The new 35/1.4 follows this design and now it appears that the 135/2 will also . My understanding not being a cinematographer ..is that this is highly sought after for video applications . The size and the weight you can easily see ..but using a lens with a long throw for street ,events ,weddings ,family can be a challenge . The older 85/1.4 ...not nearly the same IQ is however a dream to snap in and out of focus .

I am not down on this lens and there aren t many alternatives and probably none that match this focal length for IQ .....but how the lens handles is important especially in manual focus .

If you want the other extreme ..the Leica R 180/2.8APO has a focusing mount designed for reportage and sports ...its very smooth and fast .

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger,

You're right. This is a case of different strokes for different folks. As a landscape shooter, I love the long throw, and the weight doesn't bother me because I shoot from a tripod much of the time. In fact, for street, events, weddings, family, etc., I'd use one of the Nikon AF lenses.

Joe
You are of course right ..it always depends on the application . I shoot a little landscape more around the ocean and its a big difference when you can get pretty close verse carrying a load . Had to laugh last fall in Apsen I was shooting at Mirror lake before dawn ..you could hear the guys pulling their suitcases full of gear up to the key locations . A big difference from walking 3-5 miles on the street .

I think this is going to be a great lens just not sure it will work for my applications .

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bryan,

ZE glass fits Canon *E*OS, ZF glass fits Nikon *F* mount; I believe the optical formulas are all the same. The .2 on ZF lenses is generation 2 that allows for aperture control from the camera's command wheel, while gen 1 lenses required you to use the aperture ring on the lens.
ZE has to use camera for aperture control and a lot of us have adapted ZF(.2s) to Canon just to have the external aperture control on the ZF(.2) series....especially useful for video.

Bob

vjbelle

No doubt in my mind that I will buy one. Its the perfect focal length for me and I will only buy in Nikon mount so that, if I switch back to Canon, I can still use it. I don't care about history EXIF for Canon..... I can always add any data with an audio from a quick 10 second video.

D&A

Roger, Joe & all,

You're both exactly right! Application is everything! There are times long throw focusing is a blesssing and at other time a curse (well relatively speaking). Optical performance is of course 1st in my book, but how well one can accurately focus and achieve the desired result, isn't far behind. There is no way the design of a particular lens can satisfy everyone, but Zeiss has been extremely good in designing lenses that are quite versitile for a wide variety of applications.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I feared something like that would appear on the horizon. Very bad news for my wallet. Good thing I don't need the $5,700 cine version :rolleyes:

Sharokin

I'm much more interested in the new Zeiss 55 1.4
It looks like a no compromise lens at most likely a no compromise price.

Y Sol

Finally I got my lens today:D
Hopefully I'll find some time for test shots tomorrow.

Last edited:

nikonf

I am truly envious...........looks beautiful!

It is amazing how different the coatings are between the Zeiss Sony ZA and Zeiss ZF2 manual focus lenses.

Please post your images when you have a chance.

All the best,
Mike
Finally I got my lens today:D
Hopefully I'll find some time for test shots tomorrow.