The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 weather resistance

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Do not change lenses, batteries, or memory cards under water.

Btw, if you are changing lenses in very humid conditions with a weatherproof body, humidity can build up in the camera and really cannot escape. It is not a bad idea to put the body without the lens in an air tight container with desiccant for a while. Or move to Colorado...
As a rule, I bring one camera body per lens during tough weather conditions. When I return home, all gear goes straight into the dry cabinet. I even consider buying a separate cabinet where I keep a lower humidity for drying up humid equipment.

ausemmao

Can it really be that the D800 has less weather sealing than the D300? I use the D300 (and the D2Xs) with 80-200 AF-S for hours in pouring rain frequently during the monsoon season, and I've never had a problem. If the D800 can't take this kind of abuse, what then with the D600 and D7000?

It's unfortunate that information from Nikon regarding weather sealing is rather vague. With cameras like the D4 and F6, it's another story since they show them soaked in the brochures, but what lenses can take a shower is partly guesswork.
There is a reason that Nikon don't say anywhere in their marketing materials that the camera is waterproof, and that while they claim 'weather sealing' (no other industry uses such an absurd term) will not cover moisture damage under warranty repair. A similar reason that for all the BS talk about how their cameras can 'hammer in nails' or is 'built like a tank', 95% of DSLR owners will have their buttocks clench the moment their grip slips or if their camera gets dropped onto anything resembling a solid surface.

There are times that they will survive bad weather/drops. I've had my D7000 survive a rainstorm in Snowdonia without any protection. I've also heard of them dying to light drizzle. If these cameras had in any way reliable protection, do you think Nikon would keep it quiet?

Shashin

There is a reason that Nikon don't say anywhere in their marketing materials that the camera is waterproof, and that while they claim 'weather sealing' (no other industry uses such an absurd term) will not cover moisture damage under warranty repair. A similar reason that for all the BS talk about how their cameras can 'hammer in nails' or is 'built like a tank', 95% of DSLR owners will have their buttocks clench the moment their grip slips or if their camera gets dropped onto anything resembling a solid surface.

There are times that they will survive bad weather/drops. I've had my D7000 survive a rainstorm in Snowdonia without any protection. I've also heard of them dying to light drizzle. If these cameras had in any way reliable protection, do you think Nikon would keep it quiet?
Actually, the industry hates to make concrete claims because the customers never read the specs. Then the manufacturers are lumbered with irate customers that want to claim the product failed rather than to own up to their own mistakes.

Outdoor gear and binocular manufacturers also use "weather proof" and related terms. Now you know two more industries that use it.