The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cleaning sensor on D800

ymc226

Just got the camera and read/perused the entire manual.

It states that you can use a blower but not to actually touch/clean the sensor; send it to a service center instead. (page 397)

Coming from a Leica M9 which I have cleaned the sensor several times; initially with some trepidation but it is quite easy to do.

Do people really send in their cameras just to have the sensor cleaned or is this just Nikon trying to minimize liability? Is the Nikon D800 sensor that much more fragile?

I use the Visible Dust line of products and it does the job just fine.

Magic

Hello,

The manual says, clean the sensor manually OR send it to an authorised Nikon Servicepoint, so no objections against cleaning it.
I started a similar thread further below that obviously caused some "sweat on the forehead" :eek:
I got my D800 in April and since then I cleaned the sensor already a few times, though I haven't tried the sensor film yet.

Greetings, Jurgen

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Make sure to try the self-cleaning cycle though if you haven't already. When my D800E was brand new it had a sudden burst of dust and spots, which it self-cleaned nicely. I was skeptical, but pleasantly surprised. Since then, despite shooting in dusty desert and windy coastal conditions I haven't picked up a single permanent spot; not one. I'm quite impressed...

C

cornishman

I have cleaned my D3x many many many times, only had to use the rocket blower on the D800e so far that has worked well but when/if it comes to a proper clean I will have no fear to do it myself, these sensors really are very resilient if you have the confidence.