The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

downgrading from D4 to D800

JL12

This doesn't surprise me either. I still say that the D3s/D4 are the best cameras Nikon has ever produced. Resolution isn't everything!
I'd agree with that. Have been through plenty of Nikon bodies. Bought the D3s just under 3 years ago and it's been an amazingly capable camera.

Based on my needs, I would only go for the D800 if it was in addition to a D4 or D3s. But, I understand there are people who will find the reverse is true.

Alon

Not Available
In case we are talking pro environment, you need minimum 2 same bodies to work with and a third just in case.

Having a mix of D3s/x - D4 - D800/E is asking for complication in the shoot for many issues such as File size PP - Memory cards - batteries....etc.
It is counter productive to switch cameras and re get switched to the controls in a fast moving environment being it fashion or sports..etc

We tried a D4 and returned it as it did not offer any "tangible additional" value to the 3Ds we use.
I cannot see converting our bank of 3Ds for D4 unless a new D4s gets released with higher specs. And even then, they have to drop the silly new memory card released for video work!

On the reverse side and for studio work, we have replaced the D3x with the D800/E and never been the merrier.

For non pro work, I wonder if it matters? It depends on the person needs and capabilities. You can do more PP work on a D800/E file than a D4, than a D3s. But do you really do heavy PP on any file?

Just get the body which makes you feel comfortable and operate in the limits of the body and lens and yours!

robmac

Used to run with a pair of D3S's and under the truism that there exists no single wundercam for every situation, recently moved to D3S + 800e.

Our D3s will be with us until it implodes -- brilliant all-around camera with amazing balance of speed, resolution, high-iso and acuity, etc. Great file size -- if significant cropping or large prints not required.

I didn't personally see the cost/benefit of upgrading any of the D3S units to D4. For what we wanted/needed compared to what the 4 offered vs the 3S, the math didn't work -- for us.

Still morphing the 800e into the process, but the files are gorgeous, AF solid, etc. Our biggest PITA are the small things we need to adjust to from having two so different bodies. Different batteries, chargers, control layout, feel in hand, AS plates, cards (hate SD), etc. The small stuff.

I'd actually looked around for a clean D3X because of the above and fact I love the pro body size (using w/grip close, but not same), but just couldn't find a clean suitable unit in Canada (15% VAT at border, Nikon Canada service, etc). It got to the point that for the same $$, a new 800e and it's merits eventually outweighed the softer issues that had be initially favouring a used 3X.

zhangp

If we'v got everything we want with D3s, it's better to wait a year or 2, then take a good look at D4; If we decide not to look at D4, why bother the D800? ~my 2 cents