The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF 15mm lens

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No. At f2.8 falloff is fairly prominent, but already low at f4, and at f5.6 or 8 it's all but irrelevant except for the most critical imaging situations. Easy to correct in post too, probably need only a 1 to 1-1/2 stop edge boost to totally eliminate it.

waynelake

Here we go. Thought I'd mention that the Compact Primes, in two PDFs it mentions they have no light fall off and are more flare resistant than the ZF.2 DSLR lenses. Except one PDF says both types of lenses are same as far as light fall off is concerned. Expensive, but at least lens mounts are interchangeable.

Maybe the new hi-res lens range like the 55 1.4 and others will have no light fall off etc......

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
How do you resolve the 1 1/2 stop fall off in post? With an LCC correction in C1 or a different way?
You can do an LCC in C1 or you can use the lens filter for falloff (or other anomaly) corrections in Photoshop or LR, or you can use PTLens. Me, I would build an LCC correction set in C1 for all apertures on the 15 -- it's simple to use at the raw level and does an outstanding job, though admittedly I have not even bothered with it for the 18 yet.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jack,

Have you had any issues with the LCC creation from NEFs? I found that C1 6.4.3 was producing a light line stripe along the right side of any LCCs I produced when I tried using my D800IR & Zeiss 25/2 or 21/2.8. With a hot mirror UV/IR & standard Zeiss glass there is a colour cast that needs correction and I ran into problems with this in C1. LCCs were shot using my normal CI LCC card just as I do with my Phase or Leaf backs. I didn't see why it would be different with a NEF but it seems so.

Thoughts? I can find and post an example when I'm home.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Graham:

My guess is that is an issue with IR reflections, not the LCC specifically? Was your LCC plate absolutely flush against the surface of the lens, meaning no back reflections?

I'll try to post an example later, but again, I'm only using it for falloff corrections.

GrahamWelland

Guy - you know you want one. Just man up and go for it ... And give me a call just before you list it later. :grin:

It'll look great on my D600 :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Oh don't think I missed that D600 comment , I'm going to need to send you steel beams to hold up your camera shelf pretty soon here. LOL

GrahamWelland

Hi Graham:

My guess is that is an issue with IR reflections, not the LCC specifically? Was your LCC plate absolutely flush against the surface of the lens, meaning no back reflections?

I'll try to post an example later, but again, I'm only using it for falloff corrections.
Here's a set of images for LCC - no gaps between LCC plate and lens btw.

Basic LCC original image:

Colour Cast removed:

Colour Cast and Light Falloff:

Thoughts?

V

Vivek

What is the 3rd image, Graham?

If you recall, I had asked you about the IR LED (near the shutter mechanism) lighting up your frames during long exposures (in your IR converted D800).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks like a bug. Did you try moving the light falloff slider down to see if it does it at all amounts of falloff.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Graham,

My bad, there is a nef bug. I have not used it for a DSLR for a few years now, so my last attempt was probably on Canon. Both 6 and 7 generate the stripe on the right with my test nef. If you dial down falloff, it goes to a thin green line in 7.