The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts on Sigma 150 2.8 latest version

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just wondering how this lens is on the D800 if anyone has one. I need something longer than my 85 that would like a macro but good at infinity. I may get the 70-200 down the road but need something for Zion in a couple weeks. I really don't want to put too much money in this area right now. There seems to be a older version and a new one with OS in the name for around 1100.00

Thoughts?

I also have to hike with this focal length and I'm buying time until the new Ziess 135 hits the streets.

D&A

Guy,

Some time ago there was a discussion regarding 180mm lenses and talk turned to the Sigma 150mm. Although if memory serves me correctly, a couple here were not overwhelmed with their Sigma 150 in general (I think they might have been referring to the non OS version)....yet in general most everyone has been overly enthusiastic with the non OS 150 macro and I certainly am on virtually all bodies I've used it with. As a 1:1 macro, it was as good as any out there and at infinity it was a competent-strong performer. Now here's the catch (rub). I tested a couple samples of the newer OS version which is heavier and for whatever reason, I was less impressed and I've spoken to other non OS 150 owners and they felt pretty much the same.

The OS version just seemed a bit lackluster against the older non OS version. Not bad mind you, just lacking that something extra. If one never had the non OS lens, then maybe the OS version looks exceptionally good as many reviewers have exclaimed, but unless the OS version has been tweaked (which it very well may have since it's introduction), I've been sold on the lighter more travel oriented non OS version even though it lacks "OS". Just as a side comment, my non OS lens performs quite well with Sigma's own 1.4x and only barely got by a pinch with their 2x, if one must take the shot. Nikon converters don't mount on this lens without modification.

I overwhelmingly prefer the Sigma 150 over the Nikon 180mm by a wide margin, having tested both simultaneously.

***P.S. Guy, buy the way, after your trip to NY, what have been your conclusive thoughts regarding the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lens you recently obtained?

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Dave I do not have to have the OS version and I'm not the biggest fan of stabilization anyway. I know I go against the grain on that one but I think OS actually causes vibration but that's another story. The Tammy is a pretty strong performer aand every focal length at 5.6 was very good. Even at 2.8 the 35-70 was pretty strong. It's weak area is 24mm as it distorts and vignettes. No surprise there. It's a very good lens and got some very crisp images from it. Someday I like to pin it against a Nikon 24-70 as I think it will keep up with it pretty easily. It's a good PR type lens and for the money a worthy replacement from the Nikon. I posted some images from it in the original D800 image thread. Secretly my issues are working with software that went from real version to a beta version and its not tuned exactly yet to my Nikon yet. So it's me in LA LA land slightly as I have to adjust to match the real version. Okay quiet on that one but a new update came out today that maybe better. BTW I look at zoom lenses in a sort of crooked way anyway, just not a fan of them even though on some things they are superior in function. To me they are a trade off although some of them are very very good. I'm a lens whore though so I'm pretty tough on things like this. It takes a mighty lens to get me excited about it.

Guy is not exactly what you are looking into but I had an experience once with the Sigma 50mm macro. Those days I had the Canon 5D I and when looking at 100% the gradation wasn't smooth at all, it was sharp but not clean. I sold it immediately and bought the Canon 50mm macro 2.5
The experience was totally different with the Canon, smooth and clean details.
My 10 cents.

D&A

The Sigma 50mm macro is of a older design and I used to shoot with one and was not impressed. The 150mm f2.8 macro is in a diferent league.

Guy, keep in mind like most macro's, the 150mm f2.8 is optimized for closer range although it does well at longer distances. It was at midrange that I tested the Sigma 150mm f2.8 vs. the Nikon 180mm f2.8 and felt the Sigma was far superior, espcially at the edges and corners. At infinity distance, I can't say.

Dave (D&A)

JanRSmit

Just wondering how this lens is on the D800 if anyone has one. I need something longer than my 85 that would like a macro but good at infinity. I may get the 70-200 down the road but need something for Zion in a couple weeks. I really don't want to put too much money in this area right now. There seems to be a older version and a new one with OS in the name for around 1100.00

Thoughts?

I also have to hike with this focal length and I'm buying time until the new Ziess 135 hits the streets.
Guy,

Did you check this site: Sigma 150 mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM Macro review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com

Overall it seems quite a good performer.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks I will read it. I'm really buying time until I can get the Zeiss 135 apo. Just need something in the 135 to 180 range in a prime and its very limited.

Guy Mancuso

Okay I read the whole review and it looks good . In this range maybe one of the best out there. Has no real problems except slow AF which is not a issue. I also like I can just take over manual focus with the focus ring instead of switching to MF. I'll order it this week. Might even get there 1.4 converter. This should hold me over until the Zeiss comes out. I may just go with in the end Nikon 85, zeiss 135 , Nikon 300 f4 than rent the 70-200 for show work. This is one nice thing about Nikon for me, I can rent glass very easily here in Phoenix for a very reasonable fee and the store is 20 minutes away. This is a huge plus as I can do this at a moments notice.