The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does your d800 get warm around battery compartment in LV mode?

nandemofoto

I've noticed that my d800 gets quite warm around battery compartment when using LV.
It wasn't the case with my other nikon cameras (d700, d3x, d3s).
Has anyone else experienced it?

BTW I did check the battery and it isn't one from the batch that was recalled.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I've never noticed any heating.
And now I've just tried having Live View on for a couple of minutes, i.e. much longer than what it usually takes to manual focus or to autofocus with contrast detection in Live View.
Still no heating of the battery surroundings.
Afterwards I also pulled the battery out and it didn't feel warm in any way.
For how long do you use to have LV on ?
Have you tried another battery to see if it's the battery or the camera ?

With regards to shooting video in Live View Thom Hogan writes this, see not far from the bottom of the page:

Nikon D800 and D800E Review by Thom Hogan

"The good news is that I've now shot several times with the D800 in Live View dumping to external HDMI video recorders.
Even in three-hour long sessions I've yet to have the camera overheat and stop.
Of course, this was indoors. Not sure what will happen when I go outdoors in a heat wave and try the same thing."

/Steen

nandemofoto

It gets warm within 15min of shooting using LV.
I usually use the d800 with hand grip and AA batteries, no problem there...

I guess I'm in for another trip to Nikon Service Center here in Nagoya, I hate going there since their pretentious attitude always is pi**ing me off...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

How about borrowing (or buying) another battery for a try in the store where you bought the camera before returning the camera for a service check ?

A defect battery would be an easier problem than a defect camera.

nandemofoto

OK, I played with it a little more and it looks like the right side of the camera (where the thumb rests) gets noticeably warm while the battery itself doesn't.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

In that case, I would ask to have the camera replaced by a new one.

Good luck with your endeavor.

nandemofoto

A member of a different forum stated that it is normal for the camera to get warm in that area.
Can anyone else who owns the d800 contribute?

Tony

I can confirm that my D800 and my D800E both get warm after about 10-15 minutes of shooting in live view. I use them with out the battery packs and I typically notice it on the lower left corner of the LCD. I now turn LV on only when focusing.