The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 17-35mm F2.8 repair

viablex1

Anybody had one repaired? If so where?

It worked great and still does sometimes, I think the motor is going though, it will work for a while then stop, then if you take it off and reattach it , it will start working again. It does have the Squeak

I personally love the lens, and use it mainly for IR, no hot spots etc

Matto

pophoto

Go to the Nikon support website, you will need to send it in at your cost for them to evaluate and give you an estimate, after which you can decide to move forward with the repair.

You just fill in the online forms etc. I've just sent in my flash unit for repair, this is certainly one way!

pophoto

Anybody had one repaired? If so where?

It worked great and still does sometimes, I think the motor is going though, it will work for a while then stop, then if you take it off and reattach it , it will start working again. It does have the Squeak

I personally love the lens, and use it mainly for IR, no hot spots etc

Matto
The lens is known to squeak, you just need to focus close/ far to exercise it. After which it should go away, until next time, it is actually a common thing! The motor stopping may be the bad thing!

viablex1

thanks for the reply, It does work pretty well but out of nowhere it just stops focusing on different cameras, the F5, D800, D300 etc.

I cleaned the contacts and it focused perfectly for about a month no squeak, then it started doing this again, If I felt more confident would clean it , but butter fingers over here LOL

again thanks for the reply

Matto

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nikon service :thumbup:

Squeaking isn't uncommon with this lens and so shouldn't be a serious concern. Not focusing or hunting are issues that need service and in my experience Nikon typically do a good job for a very reasonable price and turnaround.

viablex1

Hey thanks Graham, for the reply and all the IR tips.

believe it or not I think I got lucky, I cleaned the contacts and noticed that a couple of screws were loose, and it works great now , maybe I got lucky, I really like this lens no IR hot spots!!!