The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samyang 14mm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
These are not final images to show but they are right after a lens change so i did not move the camera. Just wanted to show the FOV after PT lens corrections of the Zeiss 18 and Samyang 14mm. I may have tweaked it a little but pretty close for comparison reasons. I cant remember what I did exactly but thinking back on it . I had to get up go to the stream bank and get the other lens to make the change.

Samyang 14mm

Zeiss 18

D&A

These are not final images to show but they are right after a lens change so i did not move the camera. Just wanted to show the FOV after PT lens corrections of the Zeiss 18 and Samyang 14mm. I may have tweaked it a little but pretty close for comparison reasons. I cant remember what I did exactly but thinking back on it . I had to get up go to the stream bank and get the other lens to make the change.

Samyang 14mm

Zeiss 18

This is just my opinion, but in terms of composition and overall effect, the Samyang wins hands down..no contest! Shows that even though the Zeiss 18mm is wide, sometimes an ultra wide is necessary to achieve a certain look and overall effectiveness to an image. Interesting comparsion for this particular scene.

Dave (D&A)

Dan Bellyk

Hey Guy nice work, lens looks like a winner. Looks like you are using a Gitzo tripod, quest any problems with your legs not being able to retract all the way in? Happened once before now have another leg that will not go all the way in and binds making it hard to extract when needed. First leg cost almost $300 to repair and they said it was not warrantied. ( BS ) I use the tripod around the water allot so it's getting wet often still at the cost of one of these I am not too impressed, especially for around $1000

Dan

Guy Mancuso

Well I am just going to come out and say it after a whole week with this lens and a lot of shooting with it. This maybe the best bargain price lens i ever shot but the images are NOT bargain pricing . This thing is sharp and yes it has a lot of distortion in it but easily fixed when you really need too it is worth getting. I am really impressed by what I got as far as image quality. For 429 dollars you be nuts not to be packing one.

tashley

Subscriber Member
My Samyang has arrived. Crikey. What an amazing good piece of kit: amazingly for the money or just amazing outright, either way, amazing. Everyone should get one. Thanks to Guy for the heads up!

I have tied the PT corrections and they are very good but still not quite perfect enough for very rigorous architectural work - but then very few lenses are well qualified for that. However, on landscapes, most scenes don't even need the corrections. I have found that on an eye-level tripod and levelled correctly, set at F8 and focussed on the start of the infinity line, or maybe just a nudge further towards the infinity symbol, everything is sharp from edge to edge and even to the corners of the ground under your feet. Micro contrast is great, 3D pop is lovely, I like the colours and gosh, I am now just gushing.

A lens that makes you really enjoy the D800.

Guy Mancuso

That famous line. I told ya so. LOL

Glad you are enjoying it and saved me about 2500 from the Zeiss 15mm at least for now. LOL

tashley

Subscriber Member
I gotta say that with the Zeiss 21mm F2.8 and the Samyang, I feel I have the wide end covered pretty much as well as I need now. Maybe not perfection, maybe Zeiss's new line of high-end lenses will push the boat even further, but these two will let me do the stuff I want to do. All I need now is to get Nikon to fix my 24-120 properly then I have that with the 28F1.8G as a casual travel kit, I have the 70-100 to add to that mix when travelling less light, I have the Zeiss 100 Makro Planar for great results in non-contrasty landscapes, I have the 85G for a great low light portrait lens. The only thing missing is a good wide TS lens. I am starting to feel that the Nikon kit has matured into something that covers the great majority if my needs.

You know exactly what that means...

The new 40mp Canon will be announced within a few days.

Guy Mancuso

56mpx but hey its only pixels. Honestly I am screaming happy with my kit. I will admit i want my 200 F2 back though. I knew that when I sold it. Ill rent it for LA when I really need it

tashley

Subscriber Member
Only pixels? Are you kidding me. Pixels, done well, are our future. I'm a bitch for oversampling....

Tektrader

Fantastic lens the Samyang 14mm. I love it. If only the sAMYANG 24 was as good I wouldnt have to buy the 14-24 f2.8 ONE DAY.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm still getting used to it but it is just a whole barrel of fun. Focus takes a bit of adjusting to because pretty much everything in the finder look sharp, wherever the focus ring, so what I do is, if it's mainly an eye-level landscape I just set it to F8 and set the focus to the near part of the infinity range. If there are closer elements I set it to just over 3 metres. If there's significant very close detail, i.e. less than 2 metres, I focus by eye and it seems to work. I keep on effortlessly getting edge to edge, corner to corner sharp, which is pretty hard to do on any wides with the D800.

PT lens corrections are really good, I just ran out of trial uses and will now buy it: at $25 it's a snip and works as a LR external editor really well. I take back what I said about using it for architectural: as long as you level up really carefully to start with, the results are great. Here are a few shots, uncorrected and then corrected...

Guy Mancuso

Looks good Tim. I actually had thoughts of selling my Zeiss 18mm and Zeiss 25mm and get the Zeiss 21mm since this damn 14mm is so good. Than I would have 14, 21, 35 , 50 and so on but i hate to sell the 18 and 25 especially the 25mm. Ill just stay pat for now but the 14mm is a barrel of fun and damn sharp. I agree PT lens does a excellent job of cleaning it up.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, I think that's a great combo - it's what I currently have. It is taking longer to get used to the Zeiss 21: it has a reputation as being pretty flat field but actually as you stop down the curvature becomes more apparent. I think the best thing is to shoot with it hyper focally, and to largely set it at or close to infinity, otherwise distant edges get soft.

Here's a couple from an evening stroll. Over-processed but I was having fun, which is always a great sign with a new lens...

Tektrader

Another one, I havent bought the PT plug in yet. The DR of the D800 is really impressive but even so there are some photos that really test it.

I was about 5 foot away from the front of the house. 14mm is seriously wide.

tashley

Subscriber Member
You must try PT: it's much better than just using a generic slider because it can also deal with the moustache sub-style, as in the poolhouse shot above. The combination of this lens, the D800 and PT is just great! But it looks like you know that already!