The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Micro adjustment - How much is acceptable

vjbelle

My 85mm 1.8 requires a -12 micro adjustment to really be on the money. Is this in the acceptable range of adjustments? Its not a lens that adapts well to manual focus because the throw is so abrupt. I mostly use the 800 as a manual focus/on tripod/lupe on LCD as my usual workflow for all of my Zeiss lenses. However, the 85 would be handy for those rare times when I would be hand shooting at 800 iso. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for any response......

Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Most of my lenses are in the minus 10 to 15 category too. One at 0, one at -4 and one at -18.

One thing I wish Nikon would add is a global body offset so that we could match two different bodies to the same offset amounts for any given lens.

vjbelle

I find this kind of amazing that all values are 'minus'. I had a chance to test a Nikon 50mm f1.4 and it wouldn't even auto focus without back focus at -20! And.... it was soft on the right hand side.... so disappointing!! That's the third Nikon 50 1.4 I've tested and all of them were out of alignment. I keep hoping to get lucky just for those times when auto focus would come in handy.

drb

Yesterday I tested my 85mm f1.8 on a D800e using the Focal AF calibration system (first time I had used Focal). I got +2 for that lens. Haven't had a chance to shoot with the lens since calibrating though.

After having found the following:
24/1.4 -20
35/1.4 -12
50/1.4 -20
85/1.4 -20
(consistently with different methodologies), I spoke to the local Nikon Repair Center and we agree that my D800 E needs to be checked.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree when most of your lenses are that close to running out of room than look at the sensor itself being off. Those lenses on my D800/D800e where the most like -5 only my Sigma 150 is at minus 18. Even my 200mm f2 was only like -3. Obviously different lenses will vary but numbers like yours I would be sending my body in.