The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 refurb, a good deal or D600

VINCET

Thinking about getting a new FF Nikon body. I see that the recertified D800 is around $500 cheaper than a new one but only 90 days warranty vs 1 year. Then there is the D600 at $900 less than a new D800. Anyone has any experience with Nikon recertified D800? Besides the warranty, I just don't see any advantage over the new D800. Or should I just go with the D600. Ken Rockwell seems to think really highly of the D600.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Both are excellent cameras, and it depends on what you are shooting with them. If you go with the D800 and you get a certified refurbished one, you should be fine.

I purchased a refurbished 300 f2.8 from the Nikon outlet and the lens looked and operated like a new one.

Shashin

I would not put too much stock into what Mr. Rockwell says.

Both are excellent cameras. Take whichever blows you hair back. I have never had a problem with a refurbished camera.

woodworth

I would not put too much stock into what Mr. Rockwell says.

Both are excellent cameras. Take whichever blows you hair back. I have never had a problem with a refurbished camera.
+1!

I have both cameras. I think that Ken Rockwell is probably too enthusiastic about the D600, although largely right (imo). You need to realise that he comes from a particular perspective which may not be yours.

Put simply, the D600 is a great all-round camera, suitable for most purposes, very nice to use, light weight and compact, so (imo) pretty much right. It also looks "right" with the smaller prime lenses such as the 35/2 mounted, whereas the D800 and D4 make them look a bit too small (small matter perhaps!).

The D800 is bigger and heavier and so has a more "professional" feel. The extra resolution is great but means that you need to get your lenses right as it will not be as forgiving as the D600. The D800 is best for more static work such as studio, landscape or architecture where precision and care is more important than fluid movement.

I tend to use my D600 for people related work such as portraits and weddings and the D800 for more commercial work.

The D600 is great with my 35/2D and 85/1.8D in a small bag for field work or for when I don't need the bulk and weight of my zooms and the D800.

So, as already has been stated, the one you choose depends on what you intend to do. Both are great cameras, but both have their respective strengths, but as for "bang for your buck", the D600 image quality is very close in quality to the D800 but the camera is very much cheaper!

VINCET

Thanks for the great feedback. Glad to hear that Nikon Certified Refurb are good. I wonder if Cameta's Camera refurb camera are Nikon Certified. They do give their own 1 year warranty and are Nikon Authorized dealer.

As for the lens that I will be using, I will mainly be using the Zeiss 35mm f1.4 ZF.2 and the other is my old reliable 85mm f1.4D lens. Currently, I am quite satisfied with the result from my D200 but I think after 6 years of owning that D200, I deserve a full frame.

I am interested in going light so the D600 might be the better choice for me. I am just a little worried about the dust issue that was reported.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My .02: For the same money and if the length of warranty is the same, I'd go for the D800 simply because it offers both more pixels and more features in the body. If warranty period is different, it gets to be a muddier issue...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lets put it this way. You won't be seconded guessing yourself. That maybe you should have got the D800. That's a golden t shirt prophecy. Lol

johnnygoesdigital

Get the D600. It's new with a full warranty, and personally 24MP is the sweet spot for 35mm DSLR, imo. Also, the current lens line up would be perfect for 24mp's. I do like Ken Rockwell's reviews it's pretty unbiased, and usually accurate. The Nikon D600 sensor rates better than the Phase One IQ 180 in overall performance at DXO. Not to shabby!

Shashin

I do like Ken Rockwell's reviews it's pretty unbiased, and usually accurate.
Exactly what is unbiased and accurate about this? Especially the "critical Analysis" at the bottom.

Pentax 645D

True he never even touched the camera, but that usually results in not writing a "review" in the first place.

Or maybe he did not get his wheaties that day...

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

Although, this is a topic on Nikon choices, Ken Rockwell's website is but one of many, that provide unbiased reviews and input. I find it quite useful when comparing it to others, like DXO, Lloyd Chambers, Digital Picture, LensRentals, etc.

If you're already satisfied with your camera then don't read it.

Although, I own a D800, the D600 is intriguing with its outstanding sensor performance and 24MP.

Shashin

So, let me get this straight. You read his 645D review and you think it is unbiased, fair, and even level headed? I read the review when I started collecting information for the purchase and I recognized it as a rather mindless rant. It simply showed this reviewer not really worth reading.

Sorry, when I was getting information for my D800E purchase, I did not waste my time with his site...

Last edited:

pophoto

People tend to be horrified by the word refurbished. It simply means it went back to the factory, and the parts replaced/fixed/corrected! I know this isnt the part in question, just saying! My only concerns would be to make sure there is a return policy in place from the vendor and to check it thoroughly before warranty or return dates expire. Otherwise, it only makes sense that the refurb item offers Less interms of warranty, since they want you to pay more for the new item.

Both new and refurbished items can come away with issues, and both needs patience to solve the issue if arises.

Ken Rockwell also would not go on to explain, if you buy a new item, and you send it to the factory for any inspection, you cannot return the items back to the vendor later if you change your mind, even inside the original return dates! This is because, once it enters the factory database, consider the item registered to you.

Anyways, without going too far off topic, you would do well with either camera, just know which one you need, and know some technicalities in back of your mind!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Refurbished usually comes with full or partial warranty from the originally OEM. I personally would buy refurbished but that's me. Stuff can happen to any cam at anytime regardless new used or refrubished. This is just part if buying electronics. **** happens

Shashin

Refurbished is not a problem for me. Actually, if the manufacturer give you a year warrantee, it means they do not believe the camera will actually have a problem in that year. If it works for the first week, it will simply work.