The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A decent wide for landscapes

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Pseudo-shift attempt with Samyang 14mm
Original file

Processed with C1 7 using lens correction, keystone, rotation, and crop

-bob

woodworth

Ooh, ouch Bob! That reminds me of early days at college when we were first let out with 5x4 view cameras and we all tried to over correct a shot (no offense meant - but I expect you were just having some fun!).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ooh, ouch Bob! That reminds me of early days at college when we were first let out with 5x4 view cameras and we all tried to over correct a shot (no offense meant - but I expect you were just having some fun!).
oh yeah, Stroebel would have taken my head off if I submitted that as a finished image. Just seeing how far I could push it in C1 alone.
I was pleased the degree that the distortion could be dialed out without going to PTLens. Although not perfect it is pretty good.
The keystone tool was just about at the limit.
The issue with this sort of shot is that geometric distortion caused by eye-point and the need to dial-back shifts.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Bit of an update.
The Zeiss 21mm F2.8 arrived today and is pretty good. Micro contrast is lovely, colour throughout most of the frame is fab, and I like the vignetting wide open. The lens isn't quite as amazing as I had hoped but then I am picky. I have had some mildly contradictory results: in distant landscape series, it seems notably soft on the left until F8 and I have repeated this several times, but on mid distance urban scales, say about 100 feet away facades, it seems slightly softer on the right. On both sides, even when stopped down to F8 for optimal sharpness across the frame, there is a slight soft zone just a little of the way in from both sides. I'll do a lot more shooting but it seems, assuming I can bottom out the landscape right hand softness, to be a keeper.

The Samyang 14mm also arrived but, doh, at some point I must have clicked the wrong option and I got the Canon one. What an idiot. A nikon version is now on the way.

markhout

Bit of an update.
The Zeiss 21mm F2.8 arrived today and is pretty good.
I'll do a lot more shooting but it seems, assuming I can bottom out the landscape right hand softness, to be a keeper.

The Samyang 14mm also arrived.
Thanks - this is very useful. Do keep us updated on your findings - I am particularly interested in the Samyang.

Shashin

oh yeah, Stroebel would have taken my head off if I submitted that as a finished image.
Actually, Les would have been supportive in a very dry way--did you ever hear him make a joke in class? Owen Butler on the other hand...

benroy

Subscriber Member
Want a huge surprise? Get the old 25-50/4 Nikkor out of the closet and give it a workout...you will be amazed...I'm using it with the D600...a great combination.

Roy Benson

tashley

Subscriber Member
I stumbled on this yesterday and while UWAs aren't normally my thing, it was a bit of a eye-opener

Ultrawide Comparison: Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 15 mm f/2.8 vs. Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 vs. Samyang 14mm f/2.8
It is a bit of an eye-popper but it's also IMHO not correct: I have recently demonstrated that understanding the field curvature of the Sammy (and for a lens this wide it's fairly mild) means that you can get significantly better results than the review you reference! To be honest, out of all lenses under 50mm that I have so far tried, it's the easiest one to get sharp across the frame through a deep field. I just reviewed it and concluded that I'd pay two to three times the price for it, it's that good...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agree Tim -- like I said earlier, it is the killer bargain for the price!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Yup, I owe you two as much beer as you can drink - or Vodka in Guy's case. Good job you live so far away!

Tim you have tried so many lenses, by any chance have you tried the Nikon
28mm 2.8 AI-S on the D800 ??
I used to have this lens in the film days and I remember it to be very sharp.

Pierrard

I've been considering this question as well, though at a lower budget. I'm thinking of getting the Tokina 17-35/4 for D600 when I upgrade, but given the review on the Samyang 14/2.8 posted above, I'm wondering about that now.

The plan is to use ultra wides almost exclusively for landscape, especially tripod-mounted long exposures.

If I decided on the Samyang, there's still cash left over for a Nikon 24/2.8D for a normal wide, and the Nikon can use normal filters. The downside here is that the Samyang can't use them. Also, the Tokina was partly chosen due to its distortion control, while the Samyang has awkward distortion.

Given the planned use, would you recommend a wide angle zoom that can use (uncommon and expensive) filters, or a two-lens setup with a nice small wide that can use normal filters and a large ultrawide that can't, and also has the distortion?

Thanks for any and all feedback!