The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions on the Nikon 50/1.2 AIS?

A

asabet

As my attempts to find a good Canon 50/0.95 have not been successful so far, I was thinking about getting a Nikon 50/1.2 to quell the need for speed. I've read some of the reviews and looked through sample photos on Flickr. To me, the pictures don't look very different from Zuiko OM 50/1.2 images. What do others here think of the Nikkor?

V

Vivek

Awesome lens! I love mine.

Here is a sample:

50/1.2 @1.2 D200, Handheld, ~1/320s.

On your D700, it should do very well. Get the last version (the first version is different).

V

Vivek

Here is an UV capture using the same lens (D70, Baader U 2" filter @ f/1.2, 5s, shade).

A

asabet

Thanks Ocean and gromitspapa for the links and Vivek for the samples and info! I'm going to go ahead and pick one up.

Stuart Richardson

Another thing to consider is that Nikon is coming out with the 50/1.4G AFS very soon. It is only a half a stop slower, which really makes almost no difference, even in depth of field. It might make sense to see how the new lens looks, as it will be reasonably inexpensive, and of course it will have AFS.

A

asabet

Hi Stuart, I definitely plan to get the 50/1.4G when it comes out. My impression in comparing the Zuiko 50/1.2 and Canon 50/1.4 on the 5D was that the 1/2 stop made a noticeable difference in depth of field, but maybe it would be overkill to buy both Nikkors. If I do choose between them, it will be the AF lens, which will certainly see more use in my case. Thanks for being a voice of reason :).

Stuart Richardson

No problem Amin -- I just have given in too often, only to sell later. I used to have the 50mm f/1.2 M-Hexanon, and while it was really beautiful, it was just like an original summilux with another half click on the aperture ring. The difference was not huge. I did test. Here are the 50mm f/1.2 Hexanon at f/1.2, and the 50mm Summilux ASPH at f/1.4:

Not something that makes a HUGE difference. In the crops, however, the Summilux ASPH was much sharper. It is also smaller and lighter. I think this is a familiar pattern with super speed lenses (in most cases), you may get another half stop, but it will not give you much real benefit photographically, but it will add a lot to bulk and cost. Generally of course...there are exceptions and lenses that are truly worth their speed, but they are indeed the exceptions. I don't know about the 50/1.2 AIS, but maybe it is one of the exceptions.

Stuart Richardson

Yes, I think that example is proof of how aspherical and non-aspherical lenses can differ a bit in bokeh. I know the bokeh looks identical there, but I think that may be because aspherical lenses tend to have less apparent depth of field than spherical lenses of the same focal length and aperture. I don't know what it is, but if you shoot a summicron at f/2 and a lux aspherical at f/2, the lux aspherical will look like it has less depth of field.

V

Vivek

Perhaps the filed curvature is less in the Lux than the Cron, Stuart.
I have these special copy lenses that do that (a Printing Nikkor, wide open at f/2.8, for example, has less DOF than a normal lens at f/1.2)

BTW, wasn't the Konica Hexanon 50/1.2 supposed to have an aspherical element?

Stuart Richardson

You are probably right about the field curvature. I don't think the hexanon had an aspherical element though...I just thought it was a fairly traditional design. They did not mention aspherics anywhere that I saw....it was a very good lens though. I only sold it because the lux asph was better...also smaller, 6 bit coded and with a 46mm filter (compared to either 58 or 62 I think on the hexanon...no UV/IR filters easily available).

Hacker

Perhaps the filed curvature is less in the Lux than the Cron, Stuart.
I have these special copy lenses that do that (a Printing Nikkor, wide open at f/2.8, for example, has less DOF than a normal lens at f/1.2)

BTW, wasn't the Konica Hexanon 50/1.2 supposed to have an aspherical element?
No aspherical element at all. It was some false marketing from a notorious eBay seller in China.