The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Polarizing filter for D800

Tektrader

A week ago I bought a Kenko PL CIR filter in 77mm to use on my lenses.

Seems to be an issue. I expected to be able to totally block light when rotating it looking at a LCD screen. I just marginally blocks light which seems odd.

Also when I put it on the camera and look across my pond, the polarzing effect is quite weak.

Is there somthing wrong here? or am I expecting somthing I can't get from these filters?

ausemmao

LCDs don't emit perfectly plane polarized light, so there'll be a little bit of light coming through. It shouldn't be very much at all though.
On reflections, on a large surface you'll only get the effect over a certain area (due to the angle of the incoming light). It should be fairly noticeable as you rotate the filter though.

Tektrader

Hmmm, I reckon it is passing 90% of the light through even when its supposedly at its most strong angle. I assumed it would be close to black when rotating it to the right angle against an LCD screen.

Not even close.

Will try it again tomorrow during the day. But I think there is something wrong here.

I always thought it would do as per this Youtube video.

Kenko Circular PL - YouTube

It doesnt, hardly makes any difference at all as I rotate it in front of any of the LCD screens in the house. It also doesnt seem to make much difference on the camera either. Or my polaroid glasses as I twist the filter. There is a small polarizng effect but very little.

PeterB666

A polarizer will generally reduce light transmission by up to 2-stops but less depending on where the light is coming from. The filters that go to black are vari-ND filters and are essentially two polarizers. Different kettle of fish.

Tektrader

I understand what the difference between ND and polarizers are. Issue is that as you rotate PL-CIR filter in front of another polarizer (like your polaroid sunglasses) you can actually block light almost completely.

This filter, while it makes a small difference it doesnt work like it should.

ausemmao

Hmmm, I reckon it is passing 90% of the light through even when its supposedly at its most strong angle. I assumed it would be close to black when rotating it to the right angle against an LCD screen.

Not even close.

Will try it again tomorrow during the day. But I think there is something wrong here.

I always thought it would do as per this Youtube video.

Kenko Circular PL - YouTube

It doesnt, hardly makes any difference at all as I rotate it in front of any of the LCD screens in the house. It also doesnt seem to make much difference on the camera either. Or my polaroid glasses as I twist the filter. There is a small polarizng effect but very little.
Hm. That is odd.

Are you rotating the entire filter or just one of the rings? One of the parts (the front) is the polarizing filter itself, the other is a quarter wave plate. Maybe it's that. If not, hope you can exchange it.

Tektrader

After a bit of a fiddle yesterday in the sun light. This filter actually does work. SORT OF.

However I still think it isnt quite right.

I have been in contact with the seller and he isnt adverse to swapping it over for the Kenko pro1 wide band which is supposed to be a very good polarizer.

In conclusion I suggest anyone contemplating a Kenko E series digital polarizer DONT GET IT.