The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone tried using enlarging lenses with the D800E?

nikonf

I have many high-quality Rodenstock, Schneider and Nikon enlarging lenses which are just sitting in a box - begging to be used again.
Has anybody tried to use enlarging lenses on a bellows or with a helecoid focusing mount on a D800E or 20-24MP DSLR?

I know Nikon does not make a bellows anymore.
There are PB-4 & PB-6 Bellows on the used market.
The 4 has a tilting lens stage which might be useful.

Thanks,
Mike

I use D800 and Horseman VCC Pro + 120mm Rodenstock Apo Rodagon D.
The results are nothing but excellent. I use it for watch and jewelry photography.
As far as I know and having share results and comments with colleagues in Luminous Landscape forum, the Apo Rodagon D and N are the only one design for macro taking as well as enlarging. The Apo Rodagon N being the most advance design for taking.
ACH

They're just flat field lenses optimized for their particular magnification range. If you flip them backwards they'll all be macro lenses. They also tend to be designed with the assumption that they'll be used in perfect focus, so no attention gets put into the aperture shape or out-of-focus performance. The ones made for smaller formats are likely designed for the finer resolutions that you'd expect from a dslr sensor.

My old Schneider Apo Componon 150 was a very nice lens ... the only piece of darkroom kit that I sold for close to what I'd paid for it.

DennisHHH

Antonio great work! I have the 105mm Rodenstock Apo Rodagon D on a Zork shift adapter that I used on my Canon before the D800e and have been looking for a way to use it. Is there any more or less dust issues with the Horseman VCC Pro + ? Have you adapter any 645 lenses to it?
Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis thanks for your comment.
I don't get any dust issues. as long as you keep you peace of equipment inside a plastic bag when not in use, you should not have any problems.

The VCC Pro is a wander, I have used the Pentax 645 35mm lens. You cannot use heavy lenses on this camera or you get misalignment issues. Also the Pentax lenses have limited movement due to the size of the D800 nose.

For enlarging lenses they SHOULD be APO or you get CA very badly. As I stated the Rodagons D an N are for taking so you can tilt and shift with no complications and the out of focus is nice. Also if not APO you get funny colors.

The shorter enlarging lens for the VCC Pro would be the 80mm.

DennisHHH

After seeing your results the APO lens I feel it would be worth the investment even if it was just for one lens. The D800 built in flash causes more problems than it's worth, I wish Nikon would produce a 36mp body without it. Thanks for the picture.