The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D600 Sensor Dust

dkamp

I have been thinking about "upgrading" from my D7000 to a D600, but recent findings about excessive dust on the D600 sensor have me thinking about waiting for a while until the supposed issue is resolved. Should I wait for a period of time or are the dust issues sporadic and not really "issues"?

ecsh

DPR just published its review of the camera, and front and center was the dust and oil issue on the sensor. Seems to me i would wait a little longer before jumping in. YMMV.
Joe

dkamp

Thank you, Joe. I would hate to spend over $2,000 on a camera, only to have to return it. I think I will take your advice.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Damn, I'm going to have to send my D600 back as defective.

I'm annoyed because I didn't get the necessary level of oil and dust on my camera sensor! Nikon - what were you thinking? I'm sending mine back to get the oil and dust added so that it's in spec.

:D :ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Full disclosure: I had one dust bunny and one oil spot on my sensor. By comparison my Leica M8 & M9's looked liked they'd had a shaggy dog shed on them by comparison. EVERY sensor is subject to some crap and you should expect to have to clean the sensor occasionally regardless of the anti-dust shake capabilities.

Don't ask me about dust/oil and my D3x ....

Bottom line - the dust issue is a complete distraction. I'm VERY pleased with my D600 as a complement for walk around use to my D800. (Which kicks a$$ too btw). The only reason not to buy a D600 is a D800 if you have the extra cash. :thumbup:

Mark K

I love everything from my D800 except excessive dusts on sensor and inside viewfinder, things like 5D and 5D II.....

Stan ROX

I would not give to much to this dust & oil thing ... mine D600 arrived 4 weeks ago without any spot on the sensor and I could not be happier with this cute little monster.

From my last trip to Madrid:

A

Arthuar

I would not give to much to this dust & oil thing ... mine D600 arrived 4 weeks ago without any spot on the sensor and I could not be happier with this cute little monster.

From my last trip to Madrid:

..maybe a bit [OT] but for appreciating better the good dynamic range of this camera, could I know the aperture, isso, lens etc of the second one shoot, in particular.
Thanks and :clap:

dkamp

Stan,

Thank you for your reply to my original inquiry. Your photos are very good. I, too, would like to know what lens you used for them, especially number one.

Best regards...

danlindberg

I help out once in a while in a camera store and last Monday a client came in to get his D600 back from check & clean. He had only had the body for a week but was annoyed with excess dustspots on the sensor in that first week.
We unpacked the body and put on a lens and shot it. Image very clean, no dustspots. Great! Another shot, nothing. Perfect.

Client happy but said that he had read somewhere that the problem could come from the shutter so he said, ok, lets waste 100 shots fast here in the shop.....he popped of 100 images just going bangbangbangbang.
How do you think the last image looked like? It was jawdropping, the image was absolutely full of dustspots and oil!!!!!! After cursing the brand for some time all we had to do was to send it back. It looked horrible, from perfectly clean to unusable in three minutes within a store. Wow! :eek:

emr

With every new product there are people on the internet finding all kinds of problems, while others deny them all. Very difficult for one to know if things like this D600 dust and oil problem really are an issue.

However, Lensrentals has posted their experience and to me this looks like a fairly reliable source. I have postponed my purchase for the moment.

dkamp

One of our local camera stores had their fall "Demo Day" last weekend. Representatives from the major brands were all present, so I asked the Nikon rep about this "issue". He said he had heard absolutely nothing about it and if he had, he would say something. I said I knew he wanted to sell cameras, but I didn't want to return a new D600 after just purchasing it. He again said he would tell me if there was a problem, but Nikon had said nothing to him. I turned down his offer to buy the D600 and an SB700 flash for a reduced "bundled" price. The store was also picking up the sales tax. I'll enjoy my D7000 a while longer and check out the D600 this summer when the store does their Demo Day once again. I did manage to pick up two new lenses though:)

Stan ROX

OK, here's the technical data for the two shots I showed above:

#1: Cafe Principe.

Nikon D600, Nikkor AF-S 24-70 2.8 G
ISO 100, 1/200 sec., f/4.0 @24 mm

#2: Metropolis
ISO 360, 1/80 sec., f/2.8 @44 mm

Both pics are straight out of the cam. Auto-ISO. Max-Iso: 2000.

Here's another one:

Palacio de Comunicaciones:
ISO 2000, 1/125 sec., f/2.8 @38 mm

GrahamWelland

With every new product there are people on the internet finding all kinds of problems, while others deny them all. Very difficult for one to know if things like this D600 dust and oil problem really are an issue.

However, Lensrentals has posted their experience and to me this looks like a fairly reliable source. I have postponed my purchase for the moment.
I trust the folks at LensRentals (I use them myself) so I concede that there must be some dust issues overall. However, I do think that we've been spoiled since having shot DSLRs for an embarrassingly long period of time I expect dust nd regularly just clean the thing. Auto sensor shake is all well and good but let's just be practical and live with the fact that some may dump more dust than others at first but ultimately it'll stop. In the meantime, stop wishing for dust free miracles and just clean like we've always done.

That said, my camera is remarkably clean compared to the experiences here or on LensRentals. No guesses at why - perhaps I'm just lucky. :thumbup:

dmeckert

Mines got a couple spots in the corner...but nothing I'd call excessive. It probably doesn't help that I've only shot outdoors with a non-sealed lens. Not nearly bad enough to irritate me, never mind send it to nikon.

But 1000 frames in and it's not a disaster yet. That said, it will need a cleaning by the time my next season rolls around. I shoot my personal work closer to wide open, but this gig is all at f/11-16, so dust I would never see shows up there.

sc_john

Any updated experience on this issue? Are more recently purchased D600's still exhibiting this problem? Thanks.

John

Stan ROX

Any updated experience on this issue? Are more recently purchased D600's still exhibiting this problem? Thanks.

John
Sorry ... no news. I used my camera since I bought it. I do not count dust particles and if necessary use a rocket blower.

See here what's possible even with dust on the sensor ...