The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

85/1.4...the debate.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,

Do you mean that the 105DC performs better for portraits when using its DC function wide open or is it better wide open without using the DC compared to the 85/1.4 D?
The 105DC can produce a look that is almost classic LF portrait when it is used at around f/2.8 and the dc set to around 5.6. sharp but flared highlights, smooth looking skin and lovely OOF areas.
I am looking for an example I can post here ....
ok here is one
View attachment 66258
Move Along, Nothing to see here.
-bob

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bob,

nice photograph, but perhaps too dark. How come Stan Rox is criticized for his semi nudes, but not you?
Not sure what you mean but we do have a special section for NSFW images but Bobs looked liked he picked a very carefully posed image to post on the more public thread. Practical terms if everything is covered well, if you know what i mean. Obviously we all have to be careful of this.

johnnygoesdigital

Yes, I know, but it's what I think is not covered up in Bob's photo that made me question it. Perhaps if it was in fact, brighter it might end up in the NSFW. Stan Rox seems to get a lot of flak for his images even though i've never seen a lady part in them...just my imagination:)

Guy Mancuso

Bobs decision but also i never dealt with any of Stans images posted so Im a little lost on that one. Obviously it all comes down to a judgement call. We are not perfect by any means either. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

nice photograph, but perhaps too dark. How come Stan Rox is criticized for his semi nudes, but not you?
Three stops makes a big difference LOL
Anyway, on the nudity issue, I use a couple definitions.
Would the image be the sort that could be on a magazine cover and displayed openly at a Logan Airport news stand?
and if it does not contains nudity as defined in Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 272, Section 31

'“Nudity”, uncovered or less than opaquely covered human genitals, pubic areas, the human female breast below a point immediately above the top of the areola, or the covered male genitals in a discernibly turgid state. For purposes of this definition, a female breast is considered uncovered if the nipple or areola only are covered.'​
Then it is permissible.
That is only since you asked :ROTFL:
-bob

Last edited:

carstenw

Truly no joke. I think the absolute best lens they make. I know they have outstanding longer lenses but this lens has a look that can't be matched.
Why not consider the Leica 180/2 again, rather than the Nikkor 200/2 VR?! About the same price, and much nicer in the hand. Very similar image quality. I had both at the same time, briefly, and ended up selling the Nikkor due to the better form factor of the Leica.

Guy, happy birthday! Got anything planned? What are you shooting these days?

Guy Mancuso

On this lens I need the AF for runway stuff perfect focal length. Now travel stuff than a diffrent case altogether. This is a lens I just may rent next month to do a show.

Thanks yes born 1956 and 56. I'm playing golf today. LOL

Shooting the D800e and a D7000 backup

carstenw

If the weather was golfable here today, I would be out shooting :) Instead I am at home getting todo items crossed off. Sigh.

I have been out of the loop for a while, what happened with the Mamiya? Are you happy with the D800e? How do you get good skin tones from it?

Guy Mancuso

Had to sell it and the Nikon is pretty good for now. Im using C1 and does a nice job on skin tones. Just a little more work in post

carstenw

I'll have to try C1... I am using LR4 for my D800, and most of the time I am happy with the colours, but for skin tones it is hit and miss. Sometimes there is a... greyness... a deadness which I can't get rid of.

Back on topic, the 85/1.4D is a lens I have wanted to try for a very long time. I recently bought the ZF.2 85/1.4, so it'll have to wait for now, but I could imagine owning both, as I own multiple 50s.

Oamkumar

Today I bought a new 85mm f 1.8 G lens. I did the shoot with that on my D800E and I am very happy to see the performance. Great details and I felt it is much better than my 105mm F2.8 macro VR for portrat shoots. I did not do the direct comparison. I will be able to do that in near future.

Biglou

Bonjour à tous,
A few days ago i became a traitor to Leica.
I bought a D800E and the Nikkor G 85mm f1.4 and worse, i am quite happy with it.
Very good lens, a lot of details even wide open and volumes well rendered.
I am still not completely happy with the colours but it is probably me and post treatment.
Need now a 28mm/35mm wide in the same league.

Dustbak

I have just been moving towards Capture One 7 from Lightroom. One thing that struck me immediately is the difference in color rendering. LR has the tendency to lean more to reds which is not good for skintones most of the time. C1 renders the D800 files much nicer!

Big effort moving a 100K image archive into C1, it takes ages to render all the previews :(

Stan ROX

Yes, I know, but it's what I think is not covered up in Bob's photo that made me question it. Perhaps if it was in fact, brighter it might end up in the NSFW. Stan Rox seems to get a lot of flak for his images even though i've never seen a lady part in them...just my imagination:)
Funny enough to read my name in a thread about a lens I don't own or plan to buy. And very sad I did not see the photo mentioned :confused:

However, there was just one tiny little photo where there have been some kind of ... bewilderment. At least to my feelings - maybe there's a big :talk028: of :cussing: (hopefully NOT :rolleyes:).

The "Artful images" section is unfortunately very poorly attended (at least what I see) and even worse updated with new pics -
landscapes vs. girls: 100:1

S.
stanROX.com

Stan ROX

I have just been moving towards Capture One 7 from Lightroom. One thing that struck me immediately is the difference in color rendering. LR has the tendency to lean more to reds which is not good for skintones most of the time. C1 renders the D800 files much nicer!

Big effort moving a 100K image archive into C1, it takes ages to render all the previews :(
Unfortunately, C1 does not support Hasselblad. Not an option.

Btw. my photos are H4D-Files, rendered in LR. Is it the combination of Cam & Software that makes the problem ?

Dustbak

Yes, unfortunate. I use HB as well. I still use LR as main archiving software. I use Phocus for rendering HB files (color is much better in Phocus compared to HB)

So for now I use:

Lightroom: Main archiving software
Phocus: Processing HB files
C1: Processing my D700/D800 files

Yes, the combination of Cam & software is definitely causing the issues (even though the HB files seem to get too much red in the skintones too with LR). I am sure with the right effort in profiling I will get LR much closer to what I like but C1 (and Phocus) are much easier and the files appear much nicer on all levels (but mostly color).

Biglou

Thank you for the tip, i tried and like it.