The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

85/1.4...the debate.

dmeckert

hey all.

been thinking lately.

currently shooting a d600, with 28-70/2.8, 50/1.8D, and 85/1.4G.

i shoot mainly people. fashion, editorial, models, portraits, etc.

i ADORE my 85/1.4G...but i can't help but wonder if i couldn't get along just as well with the 85/1.4D, and put the cash toward something else (like bills. it's not dire by any means, but it's nice to make progress where you can. austerity measures on a personal level, so to speak).

would that be completely insane? i know there are folks out there who actually prefer the D to the G, which is why i'd even consider the move. not to mention, one of my favorite photographers uses the D. lol

cheers fellas,
daves :)

dmeckert

i like the shallow depth of field rendering of the 1.4G (particularly the transition from in focus to out of focus, as much as the bokeh itself)...i disliked it greatly on the 1.8D i had briefly.

i'm totally extrapolating to assume its to my liking on the 1.4D and not so much on the 1.8G.

it's certainly worth looking into though. i may have a date with flickr soon.

in what ways do you prefer it?

cheers :)

I find it sharper, corner to corner, at any aperture up to 5.6. With this focal lenght the depht of field is extremely shallow even at 1.8 and the bokeh is fine. it Is smaller and the reversibile hood makes it much more easy to carry.
I never tried the 1.8 D so I cannot compare.

Gino Troian

I've tried both the 1.8G and the 1.4D, and I prefer the 1.4D. Feels way better in the hand and produces beautiful images. Never had any problems with it ever... Great solid lens!

D&A

i like the shallow depth of field rendering of the 1.4G (particularly the transition from in focus to out of focus, as much as the bokeh itself)...i disliked it greatly on the 1.8D i had briefly.

i'm totally extrapolating to assume its to my liking on the 1.4D and not so much on the 1.8G.

it's certainly worth looking into though. i may have a date with flickr soon.

in what ways do you prefer it?

cheers :)
You should try out the 85 f1.8 G if you have a chance. The bokeh it produces is far superior to that of the older 85 f1.8D lens...which the latter had good sharpness but a not very attractive bokeh in my opinion.

Dave (D&A)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am willing to bet you will find very little difference between the 1.4D and 1.4G lens at f1.4 through f2, *IF* that's where you always shoot it. If you stop down beyond that however, the G lens is likely to be the better performer all-around.

Caveat: While I have owned the D lens, I only ever test-shot the G version. Personally speaking, as much as I love the look of it in the f1.4 through f2 range, I hate the weight of the 85/1.4's and why I chose the "tunable" 105DC for my short tele "look" lens.

dmeckert

thanks for the discourse fellas. interesting points to consider from everyone.

i'm going to have to look into the 85/1.8G. it's predecessor, as mentioned, is definitely blindingly sharp, but leaves a lot to be desired in the out of focus transition and rendering (i'd go so far as to call it ghastly, but not "brokeh" like a 50). that it's better at the out of focus aspect gives me hope that it could be an option.

size and weight are not a concern for me. i've used the 28-70 as my main lens for 8 years...the 85/1.4 doesn't strike me as heavy. though less weight never hurt. i specifically have a 28-105 for work that encompasses long hours holding the rig.

i shoot the lens in two ways, typically...from open to f/2, and f/11...but usually not in between.

i've never loved what the DC lenses do, on a personal preference level...but then, most of the examples i've seen have been carelessly shot. even still, they've revealed characteristics i'm not wild about. i have seen some amazing shots, when someone really knew the lens, but they've been generally few and far between.

i may have to break down and borrow or rent the candidates. i find pretty much no flaws with my current 85, except for the cash it's tying up. lol. it's a matter of sacrificing as little as possible of that perfection.

rayyan

Daves.

The 85/1.4 D was never meant to be used at f11.

Beyond f4 it begins to loose micro-contrast.

The lens has one purpose in life..portraits. Between f1.4 and f2.8

That's its purpose for existence.

My attempt with the 85/1.4D

Best.

p.s. I have never tried the G version. For countless years, professionals / amateurs have Used the D for discerning work. I am far less capable than them.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While the 85/1.8 D was distinctly inferior to the 1.4 D with regards to bokeh, the difference is much harder to spot between the two G lenses. As others have said before me: try it, and see what you think.

Then there's the Sigma. Not a bad alternative either.

But to be honest, selling a lens that you say that you "ADORE" seems like risky business to me. Unless you have to for financial reasons, I wouldn't do it. But then, I don't even sell lenses that I don't adore, even if I should... for financial reasons, so I might not be the best advisor on this :)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
From an over all IQ view point the 85/1.4D and 85/1.4G are difficult to distinguish . Two aspects seem to be discussed most when comparing the lenses.

1. The newer G lenses have better coatings and a more neutral transmission . Translated less of the characteristic yellow tint . I view less tint as beneficial in creating clean and brilliant color ...but its a preference as for portraits some prefer the cream colored skin tones .

2. AF speed and smoothness .... again a fine point ..but the newer G primes are as good as it gets for AF and my 135/2 seems to slam into focus .

Neither benefits really affect in any meaningful way the results you can obtain unless you are shooting fashion where the AF speed maybe an advantage.

dmeckert

Daves.

The 85/1.4 D was never meant to be used at f11.

Beyond f4 it begins to loose micro-contrast.

The lens has one purpose in life..portraits. Between f1.4 and f2.8

That's its purpose for existence.

My attempt with the 85/1.4D

Best.

p.s. I have never tried the G version. For countless years, professionals / amateurs have Used the D for discerning work. I am far less capable than them.
Good point. I definitely use it near wide open most of the time. F/11 is pretty much only when I need the depth of field for a certain look. The G definitely doesn't lose much if any micro contrast above f/4. It's ridiculously good all around.

Lovely shot btw. Really shows what these portrait lenses can do.

dmeckert

While the 85/1.8 D was distinctly inferior to the 1.4 D with regards to bokeh, the difference is much harder to spot between the two G lenses. As others have said before me: try it, and see what you think.

Then there's the Sigma. Not a bad alternative either.

But to be honest, selling a lens that you say that you "ADORE" seems like risky business to me. Unless you have to for financial reasons, I wouldn't do it. But then, I don't even sell lenses that I don't adore, even if I should... for financial reasons, so I might not be the best advisor on this :)
Checking images out last night they're way closer than they used to be, though the 1.8G still has this odd outline/doubling effect in the bokeh I don't like. If things were dire it would do the trick I think.

I don't need the cash...it's more from an efficiency standpoint. I'm not sure I need the money tied up in the lens. Though, it's seeming more like I'd regret selling it.

I'm avoiding third party options. Been there, done that. Lol

dmeckert

From an over all IQ view point the 85/1.4D and 85/1.4G are difficult to distinguish . Two aspects seem to be discussed most when comparing the lenses.

1. The newer G lenses have better coatings and a more neutral transmission . Translated less of the characteristic yellow tint . I view less tint as beneficial in creating clean and brilliant color ...but its a preference as for portraits some prefer the cream colored skin tones .

2. AF speed and smoothness .... again a fine point ..but the newer G primes are as good as it gets for AF and my 135/2 seems to slam into focus .

Neither benefits really affect in any meaningful way the results you can obtain unless you are shooting fashion where the AF speed maybe an advantage.
The nano coating is incredible at doing what it's meant to. I did a set for a model with strong backlight and got zero flare at all. I was blown away. Color accuracy is rarely a concern of mine. Pleasing always wins. If I need accuracy at some point ill bring out the ol' color checker and figure it out.

I hadn't even hought of AF. The G is silent and fast for sure. And I do shoot fashion. Though, one of my fave fashion photographers uses the D. Lol

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line the 1.4 g has the character . The 1.8 G is clinically sharp. Pick your poison but for me with fashion the 1.4 all the way. Folks should hopefully pick up on all the recent 1.8 lenses recently coming out all have the same look. They are very sharp but less character than the 1.4 counterparts. Think Leica here the M Summarits that came out several years ago with a lot less cost than the summiluxes but are very sharp but less character. Same thing here in Nikon.

jduncan

hey all.

been thinking lately.

currently shooting a d600, with 28-70/2.8, 50/1.8D, and 85/1.4G.

i shoot mainly people. fashion, editorial, models, portraits, etc.

i ADORE my 85/1.4G...but i can't help but wonder if i couldn't get along just as well with the 85/1.4D, and put the cash toward something else (like bills. it's not dire by any means, but it's nice to make progress where you can. austerity measures on a personal level, so to speak).

would that be completely insane? i know there are folks out there who actually prefer the D to the G, which is why i'd even consider the move. not to mention, one of my favorite photographers uses the D. lol

cheers fellas,
daves :)
Do you need weather sealing ?
The 1.4G is warmer too, in that sense more modern.

Maybe this could help:
Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 Lens Review by Thom Hogan

Best regards,

James

Lars

I'm contemplating trading in my 1.4D for a Sigma 1.4. My reason for owning a 85/1.4 is bokeh and in that regard the new Sigma winds hands down. From what I have read, it also seems to have respectable resolving power. 1.4G seems to be even better in all respects, but at twice the cost it's nowhere close to a 1:1 swap.

dmeckert

Bottom line the 1.4 g has the character . The 1.8 G is clinically sharp. Pick your poison but for me with fashion the 1.4 all the way. Folks should hopefully pick up on all the recent 1.8 lenses recently coming out all have the same look. They are very sharp but less character than the 1.4 counterparts. Think Leica here the M Summarits that came out several years ago with a lot less cost than the summiluxes but are very sharp but less character. Same thing here in Nikon.
the 1.4g has it all. lol.

that's a great observation though. clinical vs character.

dmeckert

Do you need weather sealing ?
The 1.4G is warmer too, in that sense more modern.

Maybe this could help:
Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 Lens Review by Thom Hogan

Best regards,

James
ya know...i'm not sure i've ever read thom's article on the 85. i sort of accidentally came into having the 1.4G, so never really researched it. thanks.

i don't NEED the weather sealing, but i feel better having it if i shoot near sand or in wind outdoors..

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I used to own multiple versions of the old 1.4/85 and now have the 1.4/85G. For me it is clear that the 1.4/85G is the best 85 Nikon ever made.

Having said that, the Canon 1.2/85II is even better and sometimes I really feel like just buying a Canon FF body to be able to use this superb lens.

Forget all reviews comparing the Canon with the Nikon, for me the Canon 1.2/85II wins hands down for all one expects from such a fast portrait lens.