The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E malfunction

gurtch

I used the camera yesterday, and all seemed fine. Today, if I take a picture, it shows up on the screen, but then stays there, and never goes away. Also the replay does not work, nor does the menu button. Screen stays blank.
Any suggestions? I will need to switch systems. I have two SD cards with many images, the cards were formatted in the Nikon. can I use the cards in a Sony A900 without reformatting? reason I ask, is we are still homeless after Sandy. I want to leave the images on the cards because I have no back up capability, I am living with a notebook PC intil I can return home.
camera under warranty, but I hate to send it away.
Thanks
Dave

Shashin

Dave, can you simply pickup a new card for your A900? While you should be able to use the card in the A900 without formatting, I would not want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Any reason you cannot copy your images to the PC? A simple card reader should let you do that.

gurtch

Shashin: I did copy the images from the cards to my Laptop, but I have no backups other than the memory cards. Yes I could buy more cards for the A900.
jack: the menu button does not work. When you push it the screen remains blank. Same with the replay button.
Thanks all
Dave

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
The D800 doesn't like pre-SDHC 4GB cards. Make sure this isn't what you have. Otherwise, if it's two different cards with the same problem I'm with Jack on this - reset and if that doesn't help I'd send it to Nikon since it probably has some problem.

If it's actually CF and not SD, use a flashlight to inspect the pins in the camera and make sure none are bent. Then send it to Nikon.

gurtch

Well I tried everything, it is being picked up by UPS today for delivery to Nikon tomorrow. do not know what the turn around is.
to my dismay, my A 900 does not use SD cards. I usually use CF, but in my haste to evaucuate Sandy, I lost/misplaced them, so was forced to use SD cards that I had on hand. They both worked for hundreds of shots, then the camera froze up.
Thanks all
Dave

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

I seriously doubt it was the SD cards that created the issue. More likely an internal failure on the camera electronics.

gurtch

Camera arrived back home yesterday (Dec 7). Like new. Fix, plus firmware upgrade, and all functions checked. Senser Cleaned, auto focus checked, etc. One week turn around, including round trip shipping for a non pro is better than OK for me.
Regards
Dave

danielmoore

Me too. There goes that bubble... I was hoping for, sooner than later, a fix for the green rings (banding, posterization?) I see on the LCD at times. I classified this with the green cast reported widely. Maybe I'm lucky and have a new issue. : l
It's a special camera so far, why not!

The really sad fact is, I love it. As long as I can work with and around it, it's phenomenal.

gurtch

Strange thing though. I just received two low cost 16 GB Kingston CF cards from B&H. Neither would format in my newly repaired D800E. "CARD ERR" message for both cards. I did not have another empty CF card to try to format, so I returned them to B&H "assuming" the cards were bad. Reason for the "low cost cards" is I do not shoot sports or action, so rapid read/write is not important to me at all.
Thanks all for the help.
Dave