The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What, no activity....?

Swissblad

Is my perception correct - but it seems that now that the D800 flurry of activity has ceased, activity on the Nikon board has also dwindled to a trickle...... surely their must be other Nikon issues barring nudes taken with a 85mm vs 105 mm DFC?

Vieri, where are you, we need more photos!

:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You mean commercial shooting you have done. Of course. Many of my shoots I cant do that but if you can why not.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Is my perception correct - but it seems that now that the D800 flurry of activity has ceased, activity on the Nikon board has also dwindled to a trickle...... surely their must be other Nikon issues barring nudes taken with a 85mm vs 105 mm DFC?

I for one am mostly busy taking endless amounts of boring documentation pictures not worth posting here

But as a special service for you, Swissblad, I have posted some funny (and / or scary) PJ street shots on the Nikon Street thread

At your service, Sir :salute:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I haven't used my Nikon gear in weeks. The reason? m4/3! Three bodies (GH1 x 2 and a GH2) plus 3 zooms (7-14, 14-45 and 100-300) weighs less than the D2Xs with 80-200 AF-S. The plan was to buy a D600 to replace the other Nikon bodies, but after buying the Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 for m4/3 yesterday, I've started to wonder if I'll use it much. Instead, I consider the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100mm f/2.8 and obviously the 42.5mm f/1.2 when it is launched some time next year. All stellar lenses, all smaller, lighter and cheaper than their full frame equivalents.

Just like we see MF users move towards 35mm gear like the D800, I think we'll see a lot of DSLR users move to mirrorless systems. They are smaller, cheaper and the quality, sensor as well as optical, keeps getting better every day. I tried the GH3 the other day. The ergonomics are at least on par with any Nikon camera that I've used, with the possible exception of the F6, but that's yet another world.

Nikon (and Canon) have to watch out, but I think they do. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nikon 1 system outsell traditional Nikon DSLRs in 5 years.

V

Vivek

I still have at least one working camera in a D300 and many Nikon lenses. Never touched the camera in the past 2 years.

It is all mirrorless now. Hopefully, Leica M soon.

I did fondle the D800. It is such a sweet camera and is quite unbelievable that Nikon managed to pack everything in such a compact package and with so many features.

Swissblad

Thanks Steen - certainly some scary photos!

Jorgen - I'm not worried if the photos are taken with a Nikon 1 or a P&S bridge camera - what ever gets the job done.

That said, I had the opportunity recently of borrowing a friends D4 and was very impressed by the camera and picture quality - leaves my old D700 in the dust.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Steen - certainly some scary photos!

Jorgen - I'm not worried if the photos are taken with a Nikon 1 or a P&S bridge camera - what ever gets the job done.

That said, I had the opportunity recently of borrowing a friends D4 and was very impressed by the camera and picture quality - leaves my old D700 in the dust.
That's exactly the point. Your D700 is left in the dust in spite of being a revolution at its price point only 4 years ago. There will always be people who need or want something more and something better, but for every step on the quality lever, there will be more photographers who find that the current state of the art is more than they need, and look for smaller and/or cheaper solutions.

I'm not worried either, but unfortnately for Nikon, they aren't offering the product I need at the moment. I recently turned down an offer to buy a mint D700 for a very nice price because I found that an OM-D for the same price provides much better value for what I do.

Still, I might buy a D600 some time in the future. The larger sensor obviously has some properties that the smaller ones don't offer. But that will mostly be a hobby project I'm afraid.

Swissblad

Jorgen
"but unfortnately for Nikon, they aren't offering the product I need at the moment" - My sentiment as well.
I would have liked a D700+ with 24mp, not 36mp - with frame rate of 6-8 and AF at f8.0.
I know the D600 is out there, but I liked the set up of the D700 body, and the round eyepiece - as I can use my old angle viewfinders etc.
Also the AF points are really located very centrally - a major hassle with moving subjects.
No rush at the moment - will just wait and see.

Paratom

I guess that just the first excitement is over and now people happily use there cameras.