The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 70-200/4 VR

mark1958

Well since i read the post about the lack of activity, I thought I would start a thread to discuss the new 70-200/4 VR lens. Mine should be here tomorrow. This is one of the few Canon lenses I really miss with the conversion to Nikon about a year ago. I just hope it lives up to expectations. I have the 2.8II VR version so can do some comparisons.

Swissblad

This is a very anticipated lens - curious to see 1st pics, especially edge sharpness - where it may be better than the f2.8 version.
It will certainly be handy for hiking.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I picked up mine on Friday. It's certainly a bit more portable overall than lugging the f/2.8 version around. I was shooting in extremely wet Vancouver BC at the weekend but I'll see about posting some images.

I'm using it without the optional tripod mount and it's nicely balanced on the D600/D800. f/4 is ideal for me really for the travel use that I want it for. I'd describe it as being similar in size and handling as the 200 micro.

Note to self: Avoid visiting dealers on Nikon delivery day! I was paying a visit to Glazer's in Seattle to pick up some sundry items and they happened to have one that wasn't on pre-order so ... :eek:

Overall I'm very pleased with the lens so far. Bokeh is nice too with no apparent issues with out of focus highlights which render as nice circular spots in the limited shooting I've had so far.

Anyway, here are a few for fun & giggles.

1s 122mm @ f/5.6

15s 82mm @ f/11 (vignette was added btw)

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Is there a MTF chart published for it yet? I found the corners soft on the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II on my D800E . When I looked at the MTF chart, the dropoff in quality out to the edges was shown there too.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looks like it will be good on a APS-H or C crop, not so great in the corners on full frame.
Well, this seems a little premature to say based just on those MTFs. Certainly my initial impression is that the lens does not exhibit any of the corner mush softness that the original 70-200/2.8 VR I had. I don't have enough shooting time yet to compare it to my last 70-200 VR II but I'm sure that someone has done that comparison somewhere by now.

Btw, dpreview have a sample image gallery up. (I'm not convinced that any of these show much unless the lens is a complete basket case, ditto our forum image posts to be honest)
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Preview Samples: dpreview review samples: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

Paratom

Well since i read the post about the lack of activity, I thought I would start a thread to discuss the new 70-200/4 VR lens. Mine should be here tomorrow. This is one of the few Canon lenses I really miss with the conversion to Nikon about a year ago. I just hope it lives up to expectations. I have the 2.8II VR version so can do some comparisons.
I am debating if I should get the Canon f2.8 or f4 70-200IS.
Coming from Nikon I didnt like the original 70-200/2.8, but loved the 70-200/2.8II.
I would be interested about your thoughts about the f2.8 vs f4.0 versions of those lenses regarding flexibility, portability and which you prefer overall if lets say the IQ at comparable f-stops would be the same (I assume those findings would be valid for Nikon and Canon as well)
Thanks a lot.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm curious at 200mm at F4 how good it really is. I have a need specifically for that. Ill probably either rent the 200 f2 or 70-200 2.8 but would not mind buying the 70-200 F4 for a variety of shooting and replace my Sigma 150 or if I'm buying just get the new Zeiss 135mm for outside the PR stuff. But if it can pull off 200mm f4 that may swing me. See I'm in flux on this focal length. Problem is I have several needs here. I'm more tempted in owning the 135 Zeiss and just renting this other stuff when the need arises. Lensrentals has some nice rental prices

robsteve

Subscriber
I'm curious at 200mm at F4 how good it really is. I have a need specifically for that. Ill probably either rent the 200 f2 or 70-200 2.8 but would not mind buying the 70-200 F4 for a variety of shooting and replace my Sigma 150 or if I'm buying just get the new Zeiss 135mm for outside the PR stuff. But if it can pull off 200mm f4 that may swing me. See I'm in flux on this focal length. Problem is I have several needs here. I'm more tempted in owning the 135 Zeiss and just renting this other stuff when the need arises. Lensrentals has some nice rental prices
Its too bad Nikon doesn't publish the MTF curves for more apertures. I was comparing the f4 to the f2.8 lens and the f4 looked better, but at f4. They didn't have the charts for the f2.8 lens stopped down and I suspect stopped down to F4, it would be the equal to the f4.

I wasn't impressed with the edges/corners of the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II, even stopped down, but if you are shooting people or sports where the corners do not really matter, it is a fine lens. I kept mine, as I wanted it for the kid's sports.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually Robert, that is a quite good MTF for full frame. I will get one even though I have the 2.8 lens.

D&A

Its too bad Nikon doesn't publish the MTF curves for more apertures. I was comparing the f4 to the f2.8 lens and the f4 looked better, but at f4. They didn't have the charts for the f2.8 lens stopped down and I suspect stopped down to F4, it would be the equal to the f4.

I wasn't impressed with the edges/corners of the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II, even stopped down, but if you are shooting people or sports where the corners do not really matter, it is a fine lens. I kept mine, as I wanted it for the kid's sports.
Although corners on the 70-200 f2.8 VRII at 200mm isn't it's strong suit, it's very much is dependent on what full frame body it's used on. If it's a 12MP one, it does much better and certainly can surpass the VRI version but if used on the D800, that can sway it's corner performance. Of course this can be said for a number of other high performance lenses when a comparison is made regarding their use on a 12MP full frame vs. higher MP body. For the few fames I got to shoot with the new 70-200 f4, it looked promising...but still too early to personally form an opinion.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Actually Robert, that is a quite good MTF for full frame. I will get one even though I have the 2.8 lens.
When I had the DMR, I figured the 1.37 crop was in the 15 to 17 on the chart. Shooting full frame exposes those dips on the chart, though for practical purposes, I don't think it matters.

For anybody that is curious, I shot my 70-200mm VR II versus a 1996 Leica 105-280mm in the 200mm range and the Leica was sharp right out to the edges and corners. The Nikon not. This was at f5.6 which is the Leica only stopped down less than a stop (7/8), the Nikon three stops. The Nikon was as sharp or sharper in the middles as the Leica, so there is no motion causing this, just the MTF properties.

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=F2AED399B81BF720&resid=F2AED399B81BF720%21119&authkey=ACvSTPy__7Da-Kk

mark1958

I got mine yesterday but with rain and work... only took a few handheld test shots on D800. At 200mm -- the 2.8 looks a bit better in terms of sharpness at f4.. I guess that makes sense. Did not have a good shot to evaluate at the corners but perhaps a bit more vignetting with the f4 lens. At 70mm-- could not tell any real difference. I hope to do some real shooting this weekend. I have to say the lens balances well and very easy to shoot with.

Paratom

Although corners on the 70-200 f2.8 VRII at 200mm isn't it's strong suit, it's very much is dependent on what full frame body it's used on. If it's a 12MP one, it does much better and certainly can surpass the VRI version but if used on the D800, that can sway it's corner performance. Of course this can be said for a number of other high performance lenses when a comparison is made regarding their use on a 12MP full frame vs. higher MP body. For the few fames I got to shoot with the new 70-200 f4, it looked promising...but still too early to personally form an opinion.

Dave (D&A)
On the D700 the 70-200VRII works quite well-so good I even sold the 200/2.0 because I found the difference too small.
Maybe its much different on a D800-cant comment.

The 105-280...I also had one one with the DMR. Excellent lens...but without AF and without IS I would see it pretty limited flexibility.