The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3x likely official next week

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Prices quoted on other reputable sites are $8000 USA, if so, this is a no go for me, will now wait for the D700x version and keep using my D300. This is way high but I guess they wanted to shore up the D3 prices...which I think is a loosing proposition, but anyway......both Canon's high rez offereing are cheaper at this point, and Sony's is still king for the rez/cost ratio...YMMV

Guess I may look instead into a larger printer...have a 3800 and want at least a 24" model...

Quentin_Bargate

Neither does for example B&H in New York, where the D700 lists for $2700 after discount. Robert White has a great price listed. Check your facts.
But if you are in Europe, you pay VAT, so its pretty important point - most prices you'll find quoted in the EU being VAT inclusive

jonoslack

Assuming Robert White's prices, for the price of the D3x you can buy:
Sony A900
Zeiss 24-70 f2.8
Zeiss 16-35 f2.8

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Of course, the nikon has it's advantages, but it also has disadvantages.

As for the D700 sized body . . . . it isn't likely to be very cheap either.

Lars

But if you are in Europe, you pay VAT, so its pretty important point - most prices you'll find quoted in the EU being VAT inclusive
Quentin,
A large portion of the posters here are either based in the US (in which case no EU VAT is paid on orders from EU) or professional (in which case for EU businesses no VAT is paid), so the ex VAT price is more relevant for comparing prices on professional equipment worldwide.
Lars

Ben Rubinstein

A business in the UK has to be earning above ~£45,000 profit to be VAT registered, I'm certainly not and I doubt many pro's are apart from the big commercial outfits.

etrigan63

I'm with Don on this one. The inevitable D800 will likely house the D3x sensor in a smaller frame which is fine for me. I can wait. Unless I get an amazing offer from somewhere...

Quentin_Bargate

I'm buying a Sony A900, and trading in Nikkor lenses likely to be upgraded by Nikon in any event (e.g. the 80-400VR), so now might be a good time to capitalise on their residual value. If a D700x materializes I'll certainly be interested, but my guess is Sony will not rest on their laurels. And I like Zeiss lenses - used to use them when Contax were around.

Had the D3x been priced more reasonably, I might have been tempted. An A900 will give me portable stock-library-without-interpolation files. Lugging my Mamiya ZD around was workable but less versatile.

jonoslack

I'm buying a Sony A900, and trading in Nikkor lenses likely to be upgraded by Nikon in any event (e.g. the 80-400VR), so now might be a good time to capitalise on their residual value. If a D700x materializes I'll certainly be interested, but my guess is Sony will not rest on their laurels. And I like Zeiss lenses - used to use them when Contax were around.

Had the D3x been priced more reasonably, I might have been tempted. An A900 will give me portable stock-library-without-interpolation files. Lugging my Mamiya ZD around was workable but less versatile.
I don't think you'll regret it - The results are great, and it's a likeable camera (Marc obviously is enjoying his). I'm currently fighting off an insane urge to buy the 85mm f1.4!

Lars

A business in the UK has to be earning above ~£45,000 profit to be VAT registered, I'm certainly not and I doubt many pro's are apart from the big commercial outfits.
Ben, I didn't know that. Tough for freelancers for sure. Not so here in Sweden, although you do have to show that you are a for-profit business in the long term.

Some impressive full-res jpegs here:

http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/camera/slr/digital/d3x/sample.htm

I'm looking forward to seeing some real-world tests and comparisons over the next month or two.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That's a given, I think.

With the D3x, Nikon targets the pro market where image quality and resolution is most important - studio, fashion, product. Competitors - as a system - are Canon with 1Ds, and several MFD manufacturers. If Nikon can deliver image quality comparable to MFD systems then the D3x is certainly priced right.

Cost-conscious photographers looking to move up in resolution is a different market, this is where A900 and now 5dII reside, and it's of course much more of a volume market than that for the D3x. It would only make sense for Nikon to eventually put the D3x sensor in a lower-spec body, just as with the D3 and D700. Time gap there was 12 months, so perhaps next fall?
D3X may be targeted for Pro MF market, but compared to the 1DSM3 and even 5DM2 it sucks. Mainly if you look for the ISO range of 5DM2 and also the sensor clean is missing. Especially sensor cleaning is a must for a Pro camera, because what I really hate is to remove dust from pictures in painful post processing.

And I also do not understand how you come to the conclusion that between D3 and D700 has ben a 1 year gap? D3 was announced in August 2007 and available December 2007 while D700 was available July 2008. So it took Nikon only some 6-9 months to put the 12MP FF sensor into a smaller and cheaper body. I am sure they will do the same for the D3X and there will be a D800 with sensor clean and 24MP next summer - for approximately half the price of the D3X.

Anyway I am pretty much disappointed with the D3X as I expected at least true 16bit color depth, sensor clean and basic ISO range till 3200, expandable till 12800. Now what they have shown demonstrates clearly they are hitting the wall with their technology, as they do not control all the elements like the sensor.

Canon is poised to deliver much better values here with their next flagship 1DsMxyz, which I expect to be introduced during PMA 2009.

Stuart Richardson

It's interesting how you can dismiss products out of hand before they have even been released to the public. Shouldn't we wait to see how these files actually look? Spec sheets never tell the whole story. As for sensor cleaning...well, it might be nice to have, but the body is fully weather sealed. I have been shooting with my D3 since April and so far no visible dust at all, and I change lenses all the time.

Lars

D3X may be targeted for Pro MF market, but compared to the 1DSM3 and even 5DM2 it sucks. Mainly if you look for the ISO range of 5DM2 and also the sensor clean is missing. Especially sensor cleaning is a must for a Pro camera, because what I really hate is to remove dust from pictures in painful post processing.

And I also do not understand how you come to the conclusion that between D3 and D700 has ben a 1 year gap? D3 was announced in August 2007 and available December 2007 while D700 was available July 2008. So it took Nikon only some 6-9 months to put the 12MP FF sensor into a smaller and cheaper body. I am sure they will do the same for the D3X and there will be a D800 with sensor clean and 24MP next summer - for approximately half the price of the D3X.

Anyway I am pretty much disappointed with the D3X as I expected at least true 16bit color depth, sensor clean and basic ISO range till 3200, expandable till 12800. Now what they have shown demonstrates clearly they are hitting the wall with their technology, as they do not control all the elements like the sensor.

Canon is poised to deliver much better values here with their next flagship 1DsMxyz, which I expect to be introduced during PMA 2009.
Peter,
My mistake I mixed up D3 announcement and release dates.

As for disappointment in image processing specs, let's wait for independent reviews of shipping products, shall we?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's interesting how you can dismiss products out of hand before they have even been released to the public. Shouldn't we wait to see how these files actually look? Spec sheets never tell the whole story. As for sensor cleaning...well, it might be nice to have, but the body is fully weather sealed. I have been shooting with my D3 since April and so far no visible dust at all, and I change lenses all the time.
I do not dismiss a product, maybe for many the D3X might be what they like and wanted all the time, for me this is unfortunately disappointing, as I expected a real PRO product and not a toy they came finally up after so many months and not being able to really deliver what was expected!

If you are happy with what you get then fine, go and buy one :)

And yes, I was not as fortunate as you with dust on sensor, I had to clean my D3 already after 1 week use, mainly because of particles still in he body from production :scry: So I really look for sensor clean in any Pro camera from this time on.

Stuart Richardson

Peter -- I don't intend to buy one, as I have a medium format back for the application that the D3x is intended for. But you clearly do dismiss it out of hand when you say that it "sucks" compared to the 5DMkII and 1DsMkIII and that it is a "toy" not a pro camera. Do you consider the D3 a pro camera? Because the D3x is basically the exact same camera with a different sensor in it. Obviously it does not meet your criteria, but I think your criticisms are a bit harsh, especially considering hardly anyone has actually had the chance to shoot with it OR the 5DMkII.

jonoslack

I do not dismiss a product, maybe for many the D3X might be what they like and wanted all the time, for me this is unfortunately disappointing, as I expected a real PRO product and not a toy they came finally up after so many months and not being able to really deliver what was expected!
:confused:;):ROTFL:

etrigan63

Yes, Nikon should not be judged by those appalling High ISO shots. The photog needs new glasses/contacts. It is also unclear if there was any in-camera NR happening for the 3200-6400 shots. Empirical evidence says "yes" as the model's hair became an indistinguishable brunette mass on her head. He needed to do these as NEF conversion to really show it off. I really had some high hopes for this camera but I'll wait for the D800 version for my landscape needs, I think.