The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon digital back for 35mm film SLR cameras :)

Nettar

Yes, the first thing I did when I saw this rumour was to check the date -- no, it's not April 1! This technology has been dreamed of by long-time film photographers (like myself), who railed against replacing the entire camera each time we wanted to update the sensor. Heck, we didn't have to buy a new camera when Velvia appeared, so why should we when there is a different type of improvement in sensor technology?

However, it seems uncertain that this "digital back" will ever reach the market, and even less that it will cost less than, say, a whole D600 (back, shutter, mirrorbox and all). There are quite a few devils lurking in the details. Nettar

bensonga

Awesome news!

Guess I'd better get serious re finding a really nice F6 sooner, rather than later, before the prices shoot up. ;)

Shashin

Minolta looked into something like this and concluded the tolerances would not be high enough--not that anyone here would tolerate loose tolerances. This is looks like an engineering exercise. It would be a nightmare to put in production.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nothing is undoable, although I wouldn't bet on it ever becoming reality. Seems like an exercise in the same category as the Contax AX, the camera that gives AF to manual focus lenses by moving the whole film plane. I agree that it could become expensive, but for some people, me included, it would stil be a worthwhile thing to try.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It was already a nightmare working with the Leica DMR and a fine tuned R9, so I can only say that I do no longer believe in such things.

Anyway good luck to those who would want to try :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

what I don't get is how you can patent putting one trivial thing on another trivial thing

sometimes I'm sick and tired of patents :rolleyes:

I wish Vivek had come first with this F-mount-digital-back trick

V

Vivek

Hi Steen, It is a no go. You should see the Leica DMR in person to appreciate what it takes mechanically to make such a thing work and be useful.

Like many posters in the rumor thread point out, it is all a pre-emptive spoiler patent from Nikon, unfortunately.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It seems to me that some think that the DMR represents proof why this is not possible, but it's the other way around: The DMR is proof that it is possible. The fact that Leica couldn't find a more practical solution was partly a consequence of the technology at the time, but probably also that their resources were limited. They were indeed on the verge of bankruptcy.

The DMR was announced in June 2003 and entered the market early 2006. 9 years in the digital world is a very long time. In 2003, commercially viable DSLR cameras had only been available for 4 years. I don't know if it would be financially feasible for Nikon to launch such a product, but I don't doubt for a second that it would be possible optically as well as electronically.

Those who "point out" that it's a pre-emptive spoiler patent from Nikon, what do they know? They know nothing! If they did, they wouldn't be allowed to say it, at least not on an open internet forum.

V

Vivek

Nikon should be delighted that they made some rumor columns and this sort of discussion. Too late for this.

They could still make some nostalgic products though. They did make a limited run Nikon SP a while ago. A thing of beauty. A Japanese version of the Hermes edition. :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nikon should be delighted that they made some rumor columns and this sort of discussion. Too late for this.

They could still make some nostalgic products though. They did make a limited run Nikon SP a while ago. A thing of beauty. A Japanese version of the Hermes edition. :ROTFL:
The fact that there hasn't been a "nostalgic" product from Nikon in around a decade is possibly one of the strongest reasons why this will not happen. Or maybe they are going to change that. They must have noticed that Fuji, Olympus and Leica are doing rather well with their hi tech retro.